You can upload videos to YouTube in a few easy steps. Use the instructions below to upload your videos from a computer or from a mobile device.
Upload videos in YouTube Studio
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- In the top right-hand corner, select Upload .
- Select Upload video (beta).
- Select the file that you'd like to upload.
If you close the upload experience before you finish choosing your settings, your video will be saved as a draft on your Videos page.
Step 1: Add basic info
|Title||The title of your video.|
|Description||Info that shows below your video.|
|Thumbnail||The image that viewers will see before clicking your video.|
|Audience||You're required to tell us that your videos are made for children if you make children's content.|
Step 2: Choose advanced settings
|Playlists||Add your video to one of your existing playlists, or create a new playlist.|
|End screen||Leave the upload experience to add visual elements to the end of your video.|
|Cards||Leave the upload experience to add interactive content to your video.|
|Subtitles and closed captions||Upload subtitles and closed captions files.|
|Video language||Choose the original video language.|
|Tags||Add descriptive keywords to help correct search mistakes.|
|Category||Select the category of your video, such as education or comedy.|
|Video location||Add the location where your video was filmed.|
|Recording date||Enter the date that the video was recorded.|
|Licence and rights ownership||Choose between a standard copyright licence or a Creative Commons licence.|
|Comments and ratings||Choose whether viewers can leave comments on the video. Choose whether viewers can see how many likes and dislikes are on your video.|
Step 3: Preview and publish
- Select the Preview and publish tab.
- Select your video's privacy setting. Unlisted is a good privacy option to use to make sure that processing is completed before your audience sees your video.
- Preview your changes and make sure that they follow YouTube policies before publishing your video.
If you're uploading a public video, you can set up a Premiere. Unlisted and private videos can also be converted to Premieres after upload.
Upload in Creator Studio
Upload in Creator Studio Classic
- Sign in to YouTube.
- At the top of the page, click Upload Upload video.
- Choose your video privacy settings.
- Select a video to upload from your computer or from Google Photos.
- While the video is uploading, add a title (max 100 characters) and description (max 5,000 characters) to your video.
- Edit any other settings. Partners can choose their Monetisation settings.
- Click Publish (public videos) or Done (private and unlisted videos) to finish.
If you haven't clicked Publish or Done, your video won't be viewable by other people. You can always publish your video later in your Video Manager.
Learn more about uploading videos
Learn the difference between 'upload' and 'publish'
Upload vertical videos
Understand why your video's upload date and publish date are different
- Upload date: The date that you uploaded your video. Appears next to your video on your Videos page.
- Publish date: The date that your video became public. Appears beneath your live video and is always in Pacific Standard Time (PST).
These two dates can be different if:
- You uploaded your video as private or unlisted, and made it public later.
- You're in a time zone that's ahead of PST.