To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your content targeting and make content targeting management and optimisation simpler, you’ll see the following improvements in Google Ads:
All types of content targeting can now be found under 'Content' in the side navigation:
- 'Topics', 'Placements', 'Display/Video keywords' and 'Exclusions' for all types of content targeting are now categorised under the 'Content' tab in the side navigation menu. For 'Exclusions', click the drop-down arrow to the right of the term 'Exclusions' to select exclusions for topics, placements or Display/Video keywords.
Soon, you’ll see further improvements:
- 'Topics', 'Placements', 'Display/Video keywords' will be consolidated into a single 'Content' page and report. Exclusions will also be consolidated into a single report in the same page ('Content').
- Your ads will target any of your selected content in your ad group. For example, if you targeted 'bikes' as a topic and 'cycling' as a Display/Video keyword, your ads will show on content that matches either.
Until your account is migrated, we recommend that you only use one content targeting method (topics, placements OR Display/Video keywords) per ad group. Before the upcoming changes, combining methods can limit campaign performance.
A targeting method that you can use to specifically choose websites, videos, channels, apps and app categories that are part of YouTube and the Display Network where you'd like to show your ads. Unlike other targeting methods, where your ads are placed on sites automatically for you (like keyword targeting or topic targeting), you select the placements yourself.
- Placement targeting is an optional feature that can help you have more control over the websites, videos, channels, apps and app categories that can show your ads.
- You can use placement targeting to assign a unique bid to a specific web page. If your ad performs well when it shows on a certain web page, you could add it as a placement and set a higher bid. By adding the placement using the 'Change bid adjustment' setting, you can make your bid more competitive just for that particular placement.