To help you reach more potential customers, your ads will now show on content that matches any of the topics, placements, or Display/Video keywords you target. For example, if you targeted “bikes” as a topic and “cycling” as a Display/Video keyword, your ads will show on content that matches either.
You’ll also notice contextual targeting simplified into a single page in Google Ads, so you can manage all content targeting types (Topics, Placements, Display/Video keywords, and Exclusions) in a single view. The new page can be found in the “Content” section under Campaigns on the left-side navigation menu.
Placements are locations where your ads can appear on YouTube or the Google Display Network. A placement can be a website or a specific page on a site, a mobile app, video content, or even an individual ad unit. Google presents sites and mobile apps sorted according to how useful we think the inventory will be for you. This sorting is based on a combination of the keywords you enter in the search bar, and the past traffic Google noticed on the site. With placement targeting, you can add placements to ad groups in your Video and Display campaigns.
- Show your ads on specific placements you choose: You can select placements to run your ads on YouTube and the Display Network with placement targeting. For example, if you sell travel packages and want your ads to appear on a particular website or page about travel, add that website or page as a placement.
- Show your ads on placements where your customers spend time: If you know your customers visit a particular website, consider adding it as a placement.
- Control the amount of traffic from placements by setting individual placement bids: If you find that advertising on a specific site works well and you want to increase your exposure on that site, you may increase your bid for just that one site. You can also reduce your bid for another placement that's not providing conversions as expected.
How it works
- A placement has to be a part of YouTube or Display Network for your ads to show there.
- If a specific website you target has an equivalent app, your ads can also show there.
- As with all ads on Google Ads, you'll compete with other advertisers to show your ads on placements you select.
- If you choose popular sites or videos on YouTube or the Display Network, you may need higher bids to get impressions. You can always adjust your bids accordingly.
- You can use multiple content targeting methods. Your ads will target any of the selected content in your ad group to help you reach a broader audience.
- You can add placements in the “Content” section while creating a new campaign or edit existing placements through the “Content” tab.
Follow the instructions below to access the “Content” tab:
- In your Google Ads account, click the Campaigns icon .
- Click the Audiences, keywords, and content drop down in the section menu.
- Click Content.