The tracking template is where you put tracking information. You can use URL parameters to customize your final URL. When an ad is clicked, the information is used to create your landing page URL.
- A tracking template at the ad group, campaign, or account level applies to all of the ads in the corresponding ad group, campaign, or account.
- If you define multiple tracking templates at different levels, the most specific template is used.
- The keyword tracking template is the most specific followed by the ad, ad group, campaign, then account.
- You can view which tracking template is applied in the "Tracking template source" column.
- With parallel tracking, use of HTTP in this field can disrupt your click measurement/redirect systems:
- While we don't have control over the subsequent redirects, Google Ads will always use HTTPS for the first tracking call if it's not entered as such.
- All subsequent redirect URLs need to be HTTPS. The redirects also need to be server-side.
Note: Campaign manager tracking tags can only be applied at ad level for Discovery ads campaigns.