With demographic targeting in Google Ads, you can reach customers who are likely to be within the demographic groups that you choose. For example, if your business caters to a specific set of customers within a particular group, you can show your ads to customers according to their gender, age group, parental status, or household income range.
In this article, we’ll walk you through how to focus your ads to target customers in certain demographic groups.
How demographic targeting affects who sees your ads
When you use demographic targeting, we’ll show your ads based on demographic information that we estimate or get from website publishers or Google profiles. If you limit your targeting to certain demographic groups, your ads may reach a more limited audience. Learn more about how Google determines demographic information.
Before you begin
You can add demographic targeting to your ad groups in Search, Display, Video, and Gmail campaigns. Learn more about demographic targeting.
Add a demographic group to an ad group
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the name of the campaign that you want to update.
- Click the name of the ad group to which you want to add a demographic group.
- In the page menu on the left, click Demographics. You can choose:
- Parental status (Display, Video, and Gmail campaigns only)
- Household income (only available in select countries)
- Check the box next to the specific demographic group that you want to include or exclude in the ad group.
- Click Edit, then select Enable. To exclude a demographic group, select Exclude from ad group.
Set a bid for a specific demographic group
You may get a higher return on investment (ROI) or increase your chances to show your ads to people who are more likely to buy your products by setting a specific bid for a demographic group. Set a custom bid for a Display campaign, or edit the bid adjustment for a Search campaign.