Add audience targeting to an ad group or campaign
You can show your ads to specific audiences based on who they are, their interests and habits, what they’re actively researching, or how they have interacted with your business. Simply follow these step-by-step instructions to add audiences like these (and more) to your ad groups.
The ability to show your ads online to people with specific interests can help you reach the right customers. You can do this in Google Ads by adding audiences to your ad groups.
This article explains how to add audiences to your ad group or campaign and copy audiences from one ad group to another. Keep in mind, audience targeting is not available for all campaign types.
Before you begin
In the previous AdWords experience, the audience targeting appears under the "Interests & remarketing" section in the "Display Network" tab for Display campaigns, or in the "Audiences" tab in Search campaigns. In the new Google Ads experience, "Audiences" targeting appears in the page menu. For video campaigns, read Add targeting to your video campaigns.
For Display campaigns, maintain a cohesive ad experience by aligning your newly added audience targeting with your existing ad creatives.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. Note, automatic targeting is only available in the new Google Ads experience.
Add audience targeting to your ad group
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com
- Click Audiences in the page menu.
- Click the plus button .
- Click “Select an ad group” and then select a campaign and ad group from the list that appears. You can also search for the campaign or ad group you want to update.
- Select the type of audiences you want your campaign to reach.
- Affinity audiences: Show your ads to unique audiences based on their lifestyles, buying habits, and long-term interests.
- Custom affinity audiences: Show your ads to unique audiences based on the affinity selections that you choose to define your custom audience.
- In-market audiences: Find customers who are researching and are actively considering buying a service or product like those you offer.
- Remarketing and similar audiences: Show your ads to people who have visited your website before or viewed your videos. This includes remarketing lists.
- Click the checkbox next to the audiences you'd like to add. This will add them to your targeting.
- Click Save.
Audience search helps you quickly find audiences across all audience types, without having to enter specific categories. Audience search is available for all campaigns supporting audience targeting or observation. Using Audience search, you can find additional audiences other that are also related to your search terms. You can see the audiences you have recently selected in the space below “Audience search.”
Audience ideas can help you select the right audience for your product or brand and improve your reach by surfacing audiences in your target market. You can see these audience suggestions in the “Ideas” tab. Your suggestions may, for example, be based on your audience selection, website, search campaigns, and other advertisers like you. Suggestions use large amounts of aggregated advertising data, which can help you reach the audience best for your ads and potentially discover new audiences.