Automated bid strategies
You can use an automated bid strategy to have Display & Video 360 dynamically change your line item's bid based on the likelihood that an individual impression is going to perform well, such as lead to a click or conversion, or be viewable.
If you use an automated bid strategy, Display & Video 360 will automatically adjust the line item's bid to do one of the following:
How does Display & Video 360 predict the performance of impressions?
When you use an automated bid strategy, Display & Video 360 uses a proprietary combination of variables to predict how well an individual impression is likely to perform, which is then evaluated against the line item's performance goal.
Variables considered by automated bidding
A partial list of factors that affect automated bidding include:
- Audience lists an impression is associated with and audience list recency
- Effectiveness of your available creatives
- Geographic information of an impression
- Time of day
- URL of the impression
- Page category of the impression
- Website or app where the impression came from
- Frequency cap and number times you've already displayed your creative to the same cookie
- Exchange through which the impression is sold
- Tactic of your line item (e.g. prospecting, behavioral, remarketing)
Use automated bidding
Automated bid strategies can be enabled from the details page of any line item.
You can enable an automated bid strategy for a line item as soon as the line item is created, without waiting for performance data. Display & Video 360 will continuously learn as your line item serves how to improve your line item's bids. For even better performance, especially if your advertiser doesn't have much historical data in Display & Video 360, opt in to the enhanced automation pool.
Types of automated bid strategies
Use "While spending full budget, Minimize CPC/Minimize CPA" to have Display & Video 360 get the best CPC or CPA performance possible, given how much you have to spend to exhaust your budget.
Line items that use this type of automated bid strategy may not spend their entire daily budget in the first week of the flight, but will spend the flight's budget as long as the flight lasts at least 2 weeks.
(App install line items only) Use "Maximize installs" (currently in beta), to have Display & Video 360 optimize app install performance for your budget, or for a target cost per install. You can also limit the average CPM (see below).
Use "Meet or beat goal of ____ CPC/CPA" to have Display & Video 360 meet or beat a specific performance goal. If Display & Video 360 can't both hit your performance goal and spend your line item's entire budget, Display & Video 360 will prioritize hitting your performance goal. So, watch out: If your line item's goal is overly aggressive, your line item may not be able to spend its entire budget.
Line items that use this type of automated bid strategy may experience low spend over the first 2 weeks of the line item's flight as the algorithm learns from the line item's performance. Additionally, if the performance goal is too aggressive, the line item may have difficulty spending its entire budget over the flight.
(Optional) Limit the maximum average CPMWhen you use either the "Minimize…" or "Meet or beat…" bid strategies, you can set a ceiling for the maximum average CPM that Display & Video 360 can bid in the "Do not exceed average CPM of ____" field.
- Don't use this setting if you must stay under an absolute maximum CPM at all times. Although Display & Video 360 will attempt to honor a line item's maximum average CPM over the line item's entire lifetime, a line item's average CPM may exceed this ceiling at isolated points during its flight.
- Display & Video 360 calculates maximum average CPM over a line item's entire history, not just when an automated bid strategy was active. So, if your line item had a low fixed bid early in its flight, Display & Video 360 may be able to bid more aggressively when automated bidding is turned on, while still keeping a line item's maximum average CPM underneath its ceiling, compared to a scenario where automated bidding was turned on from the very beginning.
(Video line items only) Use "While spending full budget, Maximize quality video impressions" to have Display & Video 360 prioritize buying the best video impressions to increase awareness of your products.
To control what you consider a quality video impression, select either:
"That had audio on and viewable at completion" to prioritize buying impressions where the video was audible and visible at completion of the video.
"That were viewable for at least 10 seconds" to prioritize buying impressions where the video was visible for 10 seconds or more
Use "Optimize for viewable CPM bid" to have Display & Video 360 change your bid based on the probability that an impression will be viewable (powered by Active View). For example, if you set a viewable CPM goal of $2 and an impression is 40% likely to be viewable, Display & Video 360 will bid $0.80 CPM (which is 40% of $2).Never use "Optimize for viewable CPM bid" automated bidding and viewability targeting at the same time, as it will severely limit your spend.