How the Standard Display Ads Work
Standard display ads run across different Google properties:
- YouTube: all sections of the site except the Homepage
- Zagat: all sections of the site as top and bottom unit
Please provide one of the following:
- Google-hosted: image and click-through URL
- Third-party served: tag from an approved vendor
- If you're providing tags from DoubleClick, InRed tag formats are required.
Note that we do not accept pop-ups, expandable ads, floating ads, or any ads with uninitiated audio.
Creative Submission and Turn Around Time
- Assets received by our Campaign Managers no later than FOUR business days prior to campaign start date sent via your Account Manager.
- Maximum of 2 creative revisions for site-served creatives are allowed per 6-week period for active campaigns.
- Maximum of 3 creatives per site-served placement.
Technical specifications (site-served)
|Formats:||.GIF, JPG, PNG*
HTML5 allowed for AdWords standard display formats
|Max File Size||150KB|
|Max Animation Time:||30 seconds (all animation, including loops, must stop at 30 seconds)|
|Border:||Creatives with partially black or white backgrounds must have a visible border of a contrasting color.|
Technical specifications (third-party served)
|HTML5||All HTML5 ads must gracefully fallback to support basic HTML5 to ensure full functionality across all modern browsers. Flash fallback is not supported and Flash content is not permitted in HTML5 ads on YouTube.|
|Initial Load Size:||150 KB maximum is recommended for the fastest initial load time.|
|Total non-user initiated load size:||Up to 2.2 MB
* initial plus subsequent/polite loads
|Includes: all progressive video, images, HTML. (true streaming not included)|
|CPU Usage:||Must not exceed 40% of a user's CPU. Common causes of high CPU use are continued animation & heavy animation sequences.|
|Border and iFrame:||Must stay within iframe. Creatives with partially black or white backgrounds must have a visible border of a contrasting color.|
|Mouseover Policy:||Only user-initiated mouse effects (by rollover or click) allowed and are always in control by the user. Effects can turn mouse into different icon and/or animate portions of the ad. Sound effects are not allowed on mouseover/rollover.|
|HTML5||FLV video is not permitted. If video is used, both MP4, and either WebM or Ogg formats must be used to ensure compatibility across all major browsers.|
|Autoplay animation/video:||30 seconds (all animation, including loops, must stop at 30 seconds)|
|On load audio:||No sound, only on click|
|User-initiated video:||On click only|
|Must include: progress bar, play/pause/stop buttons, and mute/unmute button|
|Actions on user click:||All sound must stop upon exit click.|
- Internet Explorer 10+, Firefox 25+, Safari 6+; Chrome 33+
Third Party Tracking
- Third-party click redirects are accepted.
- Third-party impression tracking pixels accepted for Google-hosted only (two pixels maximum).
- Research pixels
- Can accept a survey invitation banner for brand-lift/ad effectiveness studies.
- No pop-ups, layers, or other out-of-banner formats are allowed.
We will only accept third party redirect/tracking pixels from a certified ad serving vendor. Please refer to the full list of approved vendors. For additional information, you may visit AdWords approved vendors.
- Ad impressions
- Clicks and click-through rate
- Advertisers may use the approved YouTube social media exit button and/or use "YouTube" in text as per the YouTube Logo Usage in Ads policy.
- Standard Display Ads on reserve sponsorships are delivered as a companion to a dummy In-Video Overlay. YouTube is aware of ad delivery issues with some companion units due to the nature of how VAST is requested and rendered by the IMA SDK. Please note that if the unit is booked on a CPM basis, it is billed on a companion impressions basis, while booked impressions can not be guaranteed. We are working to resolve these issues as soon as possible.