System maximums and limits
DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP) enforces the following limits to ensure system stability:
- Orders, line items, creatives, and yield groups
- Ad units, key-values, tagging, and inventory
- Teams and network administration
Monitor your network's maximums and limits
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Click Admin Global settings Limits.
Limits in the dashboard followed by a number in parentheses are network-wide limits. Those without a number in parentheses are local limits, listed for reference. If the limit in the table does not match the limit in this article, an exception may apply.
If your network uses Teams, only members of the "All entities" Team can view the Limits dashboard.
|Orders||Line items per order, regardless of status, including archived line items||450|
|Characters per order name||255|
|Line items||Total line items per network||600,000|
|Active line items Learn more||61,000|
|Creatives per line item||260|
|Targeted criteria per line item Learn more||800|
|Characters per line item name||255|
|Impressions or clicks per line item||2,147,483,647|
|Creatives||Total creatives per network||1,000,000|
|Creative asset size||1 million bytes|
|Video creative asset minimum size||4,000 bytes|
|Video creative asset maximum size||512 MB|
|Video creative asset length||greater than 1 second|
|Total native styles per native ad format||500|
|Frequency caps||Impressions per frequency cap||511|
|Minutes per frequency cap||120|
|Hours per frequency cap||48|
|Days per frequency cap||14|
|Weeks per frequency cap||26|
|Months per frequency cap||6|
|Yield groups||Yield groups per DFP network||100|
|Yield groups you can bulk edit or copy at a time||10|
|Mediation ad networks per yield group Learn more||20|
|Key-values per targeting expression in a yield group||5 keys, 100 values|
|Criteria per targeting expression in a yield group||1,000|
|Targeting criteria per line item||800|
The count of active line items includes creatives with creative-level targeting assigned and any line item that:
- is capable of being delivered
- has a status of "ready" or "delivering"
- has start date of today or earlier
- has an end date of today or later
To avoid reaching this limit, consider deactivating line items that are active, but not delivering. Learn more about how to find line items in DFP.
In general, what you see in the targeting expression counts toward the limit.
- Placement Targeting: Each placement counts as one targeting criteria, even if the placement itself contains more than one ad unit.
- Day/Time targeting: If you are using day/time targeting, the contiguous active blocks for each day of the week count as one criteria toward the total targeting criteria limit.
If you had a line item running from 3pm-7pm each day, it would count as 7 targeting criteria (one targeting parameter times seven days). If you had a line item with 11am-1pm and 2pm - 5pm blocks on weekdays, it would count as 10 targeting criteria (2 active blocks for each day of 5 days).
- Frequency capping: Does not count toward the targeting criteria limit.
- Key-values: Each key-value pair counts as one targeting criteria toward the limit. If the expression uses match types, like key is not ~value*, each key to match type value is counted as one targeting criteria toward the limit.
Line item targeting:
- Ad Unit:
(cat=Education AND art_id=123) OR color=blue OR env=test OR clubcode=XYZ
- Ad Unit:
Ad Unit (1) + Key-values (5) + Geography (1) = 7 targeted criteria
Line item targeting:
(cat=Education OR cat=Sports OR cat=Business) AND (color=blue OR color=green) AND (topic is not ~politics*)
3pm-7pm each day of the week
Placement (1) + Custom Criteria (6) + Day/Time (7) = 14 targeted criteria
At serving, up to 10 networks are chosen as part of the mediation chain sent to the SDK. Building longer chains risks greater latency, since additional sequential callouts are required.
|Ad units||Active ad units||300,000|
|Ad unit codes Learn more||100 characters|
|Placements||Ad units per placement||1,000|
|Active placements per network||60,000|
|Key-values||Characters per key||20|
|Characters per value||40|
|Active values per network||2,500,000|
|Active keys (free-form and pre-defined) per network||200|
|Active values (free-form and pre-defined) per key||100,000|
|Network settings||Ad unit frequency cap labeling rules||10|
|Exclusions||Ad units per ad exclusion||1,000|
|Advertisers per Unified Advertiser exclusion||100|
|Advertisers per Competitive exclusion||100|
|Audience||Total first-party segments per network, including active, inactive, and audience extension segments||20,000|
|Tagging||Google Publisher Tags (GPT)||4,096 characters|
|Simple URL tags||4,096 characters|
|SRA (single request architecture) requests||30 ad slots per request|
|URLs||URLs generated by ad serving, such as DFP macros||2,048 characters|
- Ad unit codes can be up to 100 characters in length and must be unique.
- Only letters, numbers, underscores, hyphens, periods, asterisks, forward slashes, backslashes, exclamation marks, left angle brackets, colons and parentheses are allowed.
Tagging and key-values
An ad request URL has a character limit, depending on the tag type, which may limit the number of key-values.
Google Publisher Tags use the HTTP GET method to request ads, which limits the number of bytes that can be passed with each request. Ad tags using synchronous rendering are limited to 4,096 characters per request, while ad tags using asynchronous rendering are limited to 8,192 characters per request.
You can include a maximum of 30 ad slots per SRA (single request architecture) request. If you are using SRA, limit the number of ad slots in your requests and ensure that you're only calling
defineSlot() when you're also calling
|Query Tool||Dimensions per report||10 dimensions|
|Metrics per report||No limit *|
|Data availability||Up to 3 years|
|Data availability (Ad Exchange Historical report)||Up to 2 years|
|Saved report storage period||40 days|
|Concurrent reports per network||30|
|Data Transfer||File storage period Learn more||60 days|
* There is no limit to the number of metrics you can add to a report, but processing time will slow as you add more metrics.
- The 65,000 XLS or 1,000,000 XLSX row limit is exceeded.
- The report contains a particularly large amount of data regardless of row count. For example, an excessive number of report columns.
|Teams||Entities per team||3,000|
|Custom fields||Custom fields per location||30|
|Values per drop-down custom field||300|
DFP monitors networks to ensure that technical glitches aren't causing runaway creation of orders, line items, creatives, ad units, placements, or advertisers. In such cases, to protect your network, DFP places a temporary limit on the creation of new items.
For example, if an external program that uses the DFP API to connect to your network is creating thousands of new orders in a very short time period, it's probably an error. These temporary limits can be imposed even if the rapid creation hasn't violated any of the numerical limits listed above.