About mobile app installs campaigns
- Mobile app installs campaigns are geared specifically towards getting more people to download your app.
- AdWords can help customise targeting, keywords and ads based on your app ID and other information.
- You can easily gauge your campaign's performance by tracking installs as conversions.
Promote your app with campaigns to drive downloads
With "Mobile app installs" campaigns on the Search and Display Networks, and "TrueView for mobile app promotion" on YouTube, you can create custom app install ads that run exclusively on phones and tablets. AdWords helps create your app install ads based on your app icon and reviews, and these ads take people straight to the app store to download your app.
Based on the mobile operating system for the app that you choose, AdWords can find your most likely customers and focus on showing ads to people who don't have your app yet. Connecting your AdWords account to your Google Play Developer account makes this even easier: you can sync user lists and targeting, and track installs seamlessly. See how to link to your Google Play Developer account
When more people download your app, you could improve your app store ranking, which in turn can result in even more people downloading your app.
Differences between campaign types
Mobile app installs campaign
- Why use it: Control your entire campaign. Promote your app on a single network (Search, Display or YouTube) to drive app installs.
- Bid strategies: CPC, CPV(YouTube only), Target CPI
- Where ads can show: Display Network, Search Network (including Google Play Search for Android apps) or YouTube
- Ad formats: App installs ads, Image app installs ads, Video app installs ads, TrueView app promotion ads (YouTube)
- Learn more about:
Bear in mind
It takes a little while for AdWords to find the best targeting to meet your Target CPI.
Universal app campaign
- Why use it: Simplify your app install campaign management. Promote your Android app across multiple networks within a single campaign.
- Bid strategy: Target CPA
- Where ads can show: Google Play, Google search, YouTube and Display Network publisher websites and mobile apps.
- Ad formats: Drive users to your app's listing in the Google Play Store. Provide lines of text to generate ads and we do the rest.
- Create a universal app campaign
If you’re interested in encouraging people to re-open your app, you can create a mobile app engagement campaign. For app engagement ads, you can track actions within your app, such as product purchases or levels reached, as well as conversions. Learn more About mobile app engagement campaigns.
Read the Google Best Practices guide to learn how to get as many of the right people to discover and download your app. Topics include:
- Estimate the value of an app download
- Create compelling ads and app store page
- Promote your app to potential users across Google