Automating Your Bidding Strategy: Google Best Practices
Automating your bids with AdWords can deliver better, more informed bids while saving you time. In this guide, we’ll talk about why you should use automated bidding, which strategy to choose, and how to test it in your account.
1. Take advantage of auction-time bidding with AdWords
- Bid to the user’s auction-time context.
Why: Dynamic bids made in real time often lead to better results.
2. Manage bids more efficiently in AdWords
- Save time on account maintenance by automating your bids.
Why: Automated bids may save time that you can spend on other areas that are vital to your account’s health.
3. Pick the right bidding strategy
- Automate your bidding based on the most accurate conversion data available.
Why: Better conversion data means smarter automated bids.
- Organize like-performing keywords into bidding portfolios.
Why: Well-defined portfolios give you more transparency and control.
- Choose a strategy that aligns with your main business goal.
Why: Automation will manage your account to focus on that goal above all else.
4. Test your automated bid strategies
- Keep each bidding test simple, consistent and focused on one KPI.
Why: Adding other new elements as you test automated bidding can muddy your test results.
- Choose the largest campaign that you’re comfortable experimenting with.
Why: In testing, more data means more confidence and faster results.
- Start with targets that align with your historical CPA or ROAS.
Why: Overly-aggressive targets can affect your volume and cloud the comparison with your historical averages.
5. Improve your automated bids
- Try to keep performance targets, ads and campaign daily budgets fairly steady.
Why: Steady targets lead to steadier performance. Algorithms take time to adjust to significant changes and conversion delays.
- Diagnose and resolve issues from significant performance changes as quickly as possible.
Why: Big performance changes likely indicate a technical issue or implementation error.