Finding Success with AdWords Smart Bidding: Google Best Practices
Automating your bids with AdWords can deliver better, more informed bids while saving you time. In this guide, we’ll talk about why you should use automated bidding, ideally a Smart Bidding strategy. We’ll also cover which strategy to choose and how to test automated bidding in your account.
1. Take advantage of auction-time bidding with AdWords
- Bid to the user’s auction-time context via Smart Bidding.
Why: Dynamic bids made in real time often lead to better results.
Get started: Learn how auction-time bidding technology works.
2. Manage bids more efficiently in AdWords
- Save time on account maintenance by automating your bids.
Why: Automated bids may save time that you can spend on other areas that are vital to your account’s health.
3. Pick the right bidding strategy
- Automate your bidding based on the most accurate conversion data available.
Why: Better conversion data means more informed automated bids.
Get started: Set up conversion tracking first before you can use conversion-based bid strategies.
- Choose a strategy that aligns with your main business goal.
Why: Automation will manage your account to focus on that goal above all else.
4. Test your automated bid strategies
- Keep each bidding test simple, consistent and focused on one KPI.
Why: Adding other new elements as you test Smart Bidding can muddy your test results.
Get started: Use drafts and experiments to test the performance of automated bidding.
- Choose the largest campaign that you’re comfortable experimenting with.
Why: In testing, more data means more confidence and faster results.
- Start with targets that align with your historical CPA or ROAS.
Why: Overly-aggressive targets can affect your volume and cloud the comparison with your historical averages.
5. Improve your automated bids
- Try to keep performance targets, ads and campaign daily budgets fairly steady.
Why: Steady targets lead to steadier performance. Algorithms take time to adjust to significant changes and conversion delays.
Get started: Check the bid strategy status for potential issues.
- Diagnose and resolve issues from significant performance changes as quickly as possible.
Why: Big performance changes likely indicate a technical issue or implementation error.