The VAST errors insights card on your Home dashboard allows you to view actionable video error insights without having to run a report. You can quickly and easily find line items and creatives whose errors are impacting your inventory, allowing you to troubleshoot issues based on specific VAST errors.
To view the VAST errors insights card:
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Home Overview.
- Navigate to the "VAST errors" card.
Toggle between two views:
The default "Home: Overview" page that displays the "VAST errors" card is a customizable workspace where you can see information that is most relevant to you by choosing which data cards are displayed, and by applying date ranges and inventory filters.
The "Overview" view
The Overview view displays a graph that shows the frequency and dates of video errors plotted over the time period chosen on your Home dashboard. The percentage of increase or decrease of these errors compared to the previous period is also shown. You can select to display 5 types of error data.
Available data to display
- Total video errors shows the total number of video errors.
- Total video fatal errors shows the number of errors that likely caused the video player to stop the request for the failed ad and either request another ad, or resume playback of the video content.
- Any of the VAST error codes (
900) shows the number of errors specific to the selected code.
Click View in reporting to see all impression data and detailed error counts for the selected time period.
Because the cause and severity of VAST 900 errors differs for VAST 2, there are two separate selections these error codes: "900 (VAST 2)", which is a non-fatal error, and "900", which includes all other VAST versions and is a fatal error.
All other error code data is an aggregate of all VAST versions. Click View in reporting to see the data broken down by VAST version.
The "Line item" view
The Line item view displays a similar graph, but is focused on specific line items. In addition to error count and error rate over time, this view calculates the total impact in revenue caused by the errors. The top 5 offending line items are shown based on the selected metric.
Available data to display
- Video error count shows the total number of video errors for the line item.
- Video error rate shows the percentage of video errors that occured when a line item delivered.
- Video error impact shows an estimate of the revenue impact for the line item. This is calculated as:
[Total error count × (Total revenue / Total impressions)]
Toggle on Fatal errors only to see only the errors that cause the video player to stop the request for the failed ad and either request another ad, or resume playback of the video content. When this feature is off, the line items shown represent all VAST errors.
Line items with a high proportion of fatal errors have low or 0 realized revenue and a low calculated impact score. Use error count or error rate metrics to investigate trends in fatal errors.
Click Show details to see all metrics for the offending line items. You can then optionally click to open the line item, or click View in reporting to see all impression data and error counts for the selected time period.
- Rows with no name and no ID show as "
-" and aren't associated with a line item.
- Rows with no name and a non-zero ID show just the ID.
- Otherwise, the name and ID are concatenated with "
The VAST errors insights card provides a snapshot of possible issues to improve the performance of your video ads. The data is refreshed every 24 hours. To get the most up-to-data and detailed data, you can continue to use Ad Manager reports, or click View in reporting from the card.