Here's how to troubleshoot problems you might have while installing Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook. For complete information on using Google Apps Sync, see the Google Apps Sync help.
To quickly diagnose a problem
, upload your trace files
to the Log Analyzer
. Most issues can be identified within a few moments of your submission.
Download and Installation Issues
How do I download and install Google Apps Sync?
For complete installation instructions, see download, install, and import
My installation fails
The most common reason why installations fail is because your version of Windows or Outlook doesn't meet the system requirements. Please review the system requirements
, install any necessary updates, and try the installation again.
How can I tell if my computer meets system requirements?
To see which version of Windows you are using:
- On your desktop, right-click the My Computer icon, then click Properties.
- Click the General tab.
- The information under System lists your operating system, its version, and any service packs.
To see which version of Outlook you are using:
- In Outlook, click Help > About Microsoft Office Outlook.
- The first line of text details the version and any service packs that have been applied.
You need to have the following version:
- Outlook 2003: 11.0.8169 or higher
- Outlook 2007: 12.0.6335 or higher
I've met the system requirements, but my installation still fails
Verify that your domain administrator has made the following settings in the Google Admin console:
- Enable Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook for my users
- Enable Calendar service (required for users to be able to create profiles)
For details, see these administrator instructions.
If users still can't create their profiles, also verify that you aren't using an authenticated proxy, which currently isn't supported by Google Apps Sync.
Upload your logs to the Log Analyzer
. This tool can quickly identify issues with Google Apps Sync. If it doesn't produce any results and you're still experiencing installation issues, submit a support case and include the 'MsiExec' folder from the 'Tracing' folder that contains the logs. These logs can be found in the following locations:
- Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Apps Sync\Tracing\MsiExec
- Windows Vista/7/8 - C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Google\Google Apps Sync\Tracing\MsiExec
Installation/initial synchronization is taking a long time
Assuming you meet the system requirements, installation takes only a few minutes.
After the installation is finished, data synchronization begins. If you are importing a lot of Exchange data to your Google Apps account, this initial synchronization can take up to 24 hours. You can, however, begin using Outlook immediately. Learn more
After trying all of the above, my installation still fails
Your issue may be caused by your local Windows or Outlook environment. See these common issues to see if one is the cause:
Also, if any antivirus software or third-party application has access to your Outlook .pst files, that can prevent Google Apps Sync from working.
Note that Google Enterprise support can provide support for the sync tool, but not for Microsoft® Outlook or Windows. If you have additional Outlook or Windows questions, please contact Microsoft.
I keep on receiving a web-authorization prompt while using Google Apps Sync version 3.3.355.950.
This is expected behavior if you're upgrading from a previous version of the tool. To resolve this, please try the following:
- Make sure you've checked the box next to 'Remember Me' within the initial Google Apps Sync login window.
- Close Outlook and select 'Start' > 'All Programs' > 'Google Apps Sync' > 'Delete Saved Google Apps Sync Passwords'.
- If the above steps don't resolve the issue, please remove and then replace your Google Apps Sync profile.
I'm getting the error: Cannot register service. How do I fix this?
This problem can be caused by having installed the Exchange Server management tools, which include an incompatible version of MAPI32.DLL. To remedy the problem, uninstall the Exchange Server management tools. If that doesn't solve the problem, run fixmapi.exe.
When logging in to Outlook, I get the error "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened"
This can happen after you change your Windows password. The problem is easy to fix:
- Open your Windows Start menu, go to the Google Apps Sync menu, and choose Delete saved Google Apps Sync passwords.
- Start Outlook, opening your Google Apps Sync profile. You'll be prompted to re-enter your password.
Instructions for Administrators
How do I deploy Google Apps Sync for my domain?
I'm having trouble installing the MSI file.
Did you rename the .MSI file after downloading it? If so, rename the .MSI file exactly as it was when it was initially downloaded, then try installing again.
I'm having trouble installing my domain's global address list using the GAL Generator.
Verify that you've enabled the Google Calendar service in your Google Admin console. For details, see these administrator instructions
Are there other known installation issues?
There might be. See Known Issues
and look under Email Clients and Mobile Devices