Starting January 15, 2021, we will no longer offer the Google Workspace (team-managed) product, and all users will need to switch to a different Google Workspace product. Your conversion options depend on whether you’re an administrator of a Google Workspace team, or use Google Workspace without belonging to a team.
Options for admins
If you’re an admin for a team-managed Google Workspace account, you have one of these options to convert your team-managed account:
- Have your account converted to a 120-day trial subscription of Google Workspace Essentials. For a price comparison, see below. Learn more about Google Workspace Essentials.
Note: We've extended the 14-day trial subscription to a 120-day trial subscription.
Google Workspace Essentials includes Google Meet; Drive; Docs, Sheets, and Slides; and administrative controls. It doesn’t include Google Hangouts (classic Hangouts), or Currents (formerly known as Google+). This means you'll lose access to these services when you're converted to Google Workspace Essentials.
- Upgrade to a Google Workspace edition. Verify your domain to start using a managed Google Workspace edition. Managed Google Workspace editions include classic Hangouts, and Currents. For instructions, see Get advanced features for your domain.
- Continue using Google services without Google Workspace. Users can continue signing in to their personal Accounts with their existing username and password.
Options for users who aren’t on a team
- If you take no action, your account will automatically convert to a personal account on January 15, 2021. You’ll still be able to sign into your account with your existing username and password, and you’ll retain access to your account data.
When you convert to a personal account, your Google Currents data is not retained—make sure to copy your data before conversion.
- Rejoin a team before January 15, 2021, if you want to upgrade to Google Workspace Essentials. Ask a team administrator if they are upgrading, and then ask them to add you to their team.
Frequently asked questionsIf I switch my team-managed Google Workspace to another Google Workspace edition, what happens to my data?
All admin permissions and settings are retained. What happens to your team's data depends on the Google Workspace edition you migrate to:
- Google Workspace Essentials Your team's data will be retained, except for Currents and Hangouts data (as Google Workspace Essentials doesn't include Currents or Hangouts). You and your team can create a copy of your data before migrating to Google Workspace Essentials.
- Upgrade to Google Workspace All team data, including classic Hangouts and Currents data, will be retained, since these services are included in Google Workspace IT-managed editions.
- If your team converts to personal accounts, their data will be retained, except shared drive data and Currents data. To retain shared drive data, you or the shared drive owner can copy files and move them to your own My Drive before converting their accounts. Team members can also create a copy of their Google Currents data prior to converting their accounts.
Google Workspace Essentials price per user, after your 120-day trial period:
|Current price per user per month||New price per active Google Workspace Essentials user per month|
(100GB per user, 2 TB pooled cloud storage)
Google Workspace Essentials includes Google Meet for secure, enterprise-grade video conferencing; Google Drive for easy and secure access to all your content; Docs, Sheets, and Slides collaboration tools to enable teamwork; as well as administrative controls.
Google Workspace Essentials does not include classic Hangouts or Currents (formerly known as Google+). This means you will lose access to these services starting January 15, 2021. Create a copy of your account data to retain access to your personal data prior to the migrate to Google Workspace Essentials. Google Workspace Essentials has a Drive storage limit of 100 GB per user and 2TB of pooled Cloud Storage.
Because you and your team are using Google Workspace with a consumer email address (such as @hotmail.com or @facebook.com), instead of a business email address, we can’t automatically migrate your team to another Google Workspace product.
If you take no action, your team members’ Google Workspace accounts will be converted to free, personal Google accounts on January 15, 2021. Users will be able to log into their personal Google accounts with their existing username and password. Your team members’ data will also be retained, except for shared drives and Google Currents (formerly known as Google+). You (or a shared drive owner) must move your shared drive files before January 15, to retain the data.
If you want to continue using Google Workspace services, you can sign up for Google Workspace Essentials (formerly known as G Suite Essentials) using a business email here: https://workspace.google.com/essentials/