- Through September 30, 2020, G Suite Essentials is free. After September 30, your paid service will start and you’ll be charged monthly based on the number of active users in your organization.
- To use G Suite Essentials free through September 30, 2020, you need to enter a valid payment method. To make sure you don't lose access to your account after 30 days, enter your payment information. Go to Set up G Suite Essentials billing.
- The Next billing date shown under Billing details won't show the correct date until after your paid service starts.
When your paid service starts, here’s how you’ll be charged.
Monthly payments start after the free trial period ends. We charge your primary payment method at the beginning of each month for the number of active users during the previous month. You pay:
- The full USD 10 for any active user in a month, even if the user completes only one charged activity at any time during the month (for example, viewing one file on the 25th of the month).
- The full USD 10 for any active user if your subscription doesn’t cover an entire month—for example, if you cancel in the middle of the month.
- A minimum of USD 10 for a month's service, even if you don’t have at least 1 active user during the month.
You can pay in your local currency. However, your payments are calculated in U.S. dollars. So depending on the exchange rate, your payment might vary from month to month, even if your active users remain the same.
G Suite Essentials
- 2 TB of pooled cloud storage shared by everyone in your organization.
- For each new user you add, you get 100 GB of storage added to the pool, up to a maximum of 2 TB.
G Suite Enterprise Essentials
- 25 TB of pooled cloud storage shared by everyone in your organization.
- For each new user you add, you get 1 TB of storage added to the pool, up to a maximum of 25 TB.
Active users and storage usageWhat defines an active user?
An active user is anyone added to your account who engages in at least one charged activity at least one time during the month. Other users, including those outside or inside your company, aren't counted as active users.
Charged activities include, but aren’t strictly limited to:
- Viewing, opening, printing, or previewing a Drive file
- Downloading a Drive file
- Changing the contents of Drive, including:
- Uploading files
- Creating, copying, renaming, removing, or moving files
- Adding files to My Drive
- Sharing Drive files or changing sharing permissions
- Managing membership for a shared drive
- Syncing files that have changed
- Hosting or joining a video meeting with Google Meet
The active user charge applies to the person doing something with a Drive file, not the file’s owner. However, if a non-owner updates a file, the owner is also charged as an active user when the file syncs.
Some user actions don’t trigger an active user charge. These uncharged activities include, but aren’t strictly limited to:
- Browsing activity:
- Users can browse, search, sort, or filter files without charges.
- They can also look at the View details panel or see who a file is shared with.
- Syncing files that haven’t changed
- Changing Drive settings
- Accessing of files by users outside your organization
- Joining a video meeting when done by users outside your organization
Your storage usage is the total GB of Drive content for all users in your organization.
Files included in your storage usage:
- All non-Google Docs editor files, such as photos, videos, audio files, PDFs, and Microsoft Office files, including non-Google Docs editor files in shared drives
- Files in users’ Trash
- Files owned by suspended users
- Files on hold in Google Vault (domain-verified customers only)
Files excluded from the storage usage:
- Drive folders
- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drawings, Sites, and My Maps
Say your organization has 3 users: A, B, and C. Here’s a sample of how your monthly charge activity for G Suite Essentials might look for a 30-day month.Active users
|A||Edited a Google Doc daily||Yes||USD 10|
|B||Renamed one file one time, on the 25th day of the month||Yes||USD 10||For an active user, the charge is always the full USD 10 per month, even if the user activity took place after the 1st of the month.|
|C||Changed several Drive settings||No||NA||Changing Drive settings doesn’t make a user an active user.|
The total charge for your organization for this month is USD 20.00 for active users (2 x 10).
Even if you pay in a currency other than USD, your charge is calculated in USD. Your actual payment depends on the current exchange rate.
For example, suppose you pay in Euros and the exchange rate is USD 1 = EUR 0.85. Your charge is calculated as USD 20.00. You’re billed EUR 17.00.
Reducing users and cancellation
If you modify your G Suite Essentials users or subscription, the billing rules depend on your customer type and the action you take.
If you remove a user’s G Suite Essentials license in a given month and the user had any activity that qualified them as an active user for the month, you’re billed USD 10 for that user for the month. After that, you’re not charged any user charge for that user. However, if the user has any storage that qualifies for the monthly storage charge, unless you delete the storage, you continue to be charged for it even after you remove the user’s G Suite Essentials license. Learn about what happens to a removed user's account and data.
If you delete a G Suite Essentials user in a given month and the user had any activity that qualified them as an active user for the month, you’re billed USD 10 for that user for the month. After that, you’re not charged any user charge for that user. You’re also charged a prorated amount for any qualifying storage for that user in the month of deletion. After that, the storage is deleted and there’s no further storage charge. Learn about what happens to a removed user's account and data.
If you remove a user from a team in a given month and the user had any activity that qualified them as an active user for the month, you’re billed USD 10 for that user for the month. After that, you’re not charged any user charge for that user. However, if the user has any data stored in shared drives (which qualifies for the monthly storage charge), unless you delete the data or the user moves it to their personal account, you continue to be charged for it even after you remove the user. Learn about what happens to a removed user's account and data
If you cancel your G Suite Essentials subscription in a given month, you’re charged USD 10 per any active user in that month. You’re also charged a prorated storage charge for all accumulated storage up to the date of cancellation. After that, you have no additional user or storage charge.