After you choose a sync solution, turn it on for your organization and decide whether users can see download links in the Drive interface.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Apps Google Workspace Settings for Drive and Docs Features and Applications.
To see Apps, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
Requires having the Drive and Docs administrator privilege.
To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit or a configuration group.
- Enable Google Drive for desktop, Backup and Sync, both applications, or neither:
(Optional, recommended) Check Allow Drive File Stream in your organization.
If you allow Drive for desktop, you can also check Show Drive File Stream download link. The download link appears in Drive on the web. Uncheck this box if you deploy Drive for desktop as the administrator.
- Turn Backup and Sync on or off:
- Choose Allow users to download, install, and use the Backup and Sync application to allow Backup and Sync and show users a link to download it in Drive on the web.
- Choose Allow Backup and Sync but hide the download links if you use the .msi file to deploy Backup and Sync.
- Choose Do not allow Backup and Sync to disable the option and hide the download links.
Allowing both or neither sync application
In step 4 above, you can allow both Drive for desktop and Backup and Sync, or not allow either. Here are important things to consider:If you allow both Drive for desktop and Backup and Sync
If a user runs Drive for desktop at the same time as Backup and Sync, the user is prompted to stop syncing My Drive in Backup and Sync.
If users follow this prompt, they access My Drive only with Drive for desktop. This:
- Frees up disk space
- Improves performance
- Provides a cleaner user experience with a single, preferred way to access My Drive
If users don’t follow this prompt, they access My Drive with Drive for desktop and also sync My Drive with Backup and Sync. This:
- Nullifies the saved disk space benefit of using only Drive for desktop
- Potentially leads to confusion, as users see multiple instances of the Google Drive folder and its files
- If you try to show download links for both applications, only the Drive for desktop link is shown.
All other Drive components are still available. Only sync is disabled. Users can still manually upload and download files to and from Drive on the web, and they can still access Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms. If you have Essentials edition, you can also turn off Docs creation.
If instead you want to disable all Drive components and the Docs editors, you can turn off Drive.