Assign Gmail settings for users
As a G Suite administrator, you can control many of the Gmail options available for your users. Use these settings to manage the Gmail user options for your organization.
Important: It can take up to an hour for Gmail settings to change for individual user accounts. In rare cases, users may experience message delays when a large number of Gmail settings are configured.
Configure user settings for Gmail
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteGmailUser settings.
- In the Organizations section, highlight the top-level org or the organizational unit (sub-org) for which you want to configure settings.
- Scroll down the page to the relevant sections to configure your settings. You can also use the Search settings text box to enter a search term to quickly find the Gmail setting that you need.
- After you make changes to your settings, click Save Changes to finalize the new/updated configuration.
Gmail user settingsEnd user settings
These settings apply to all organizations and can only be configured and edited at the top-level organization.
- Themes—Specify if users can choose their own themes.
- Email Read Receipts—Specify if users can request or return email read receipts.
- Mail Delegation—Let users delegate access to their mailbox to others in the domain.
- Name format—Configure the name format for users. You can also allow users to customize their format.
- Inbox by Gmail—Turn on Inbox by Gmail for users.
- S/MIME—Enable S/MIME encryption for sending and receiving emails and allow users to upload their own certificates.
- POP and IMAP access: Disable POP and IMAP access for users (see IMAP and POP access).
- Outlook & BlackBerry Support: Enable G Suite Sync and G Suite Connector for users.
- Automatic forwarding: Specify whether users can automatically forward incoming email to another address (see Disable automatic forwarding).
- Offline Gmail: Enable offline Gmail for users.
- Allow per-user outbound gateways: Allow users to send mail through an external SMTP.
- Image URL proxy whitelist: (top-level org only) Create and maintain a whitelist of internal URLs that bypasses proxy protection (see Image URL proxy whitelist setting).
The controls on the Gmail advanced settings page vary depending on the type of setting you need to configure. For the Setup and End User Access sections, you can make changes directly within the Gmail advanced settings page using check boxes, options, and text boxes.