Assign Gmail settings for users
As a G Suite administrator, you can control many of the Gmail options available for your users. Use these settings to manage the Gmail user options for your organization.
Important: It can take up to an hour for Gmail settings to change for individual user accounts. In rare cases, users may experience message delays when a large number of Gmail settings are configured.
Configure user settings for Gmail
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteGmailUser settings.
- In the Organizations section, highlight the top-level org or the organizational unit (sub-org) for which you want to configure settings.
- Scroll down the page to the relevant sections to configure your settings. You can also use the Search settings text box to enter a search term to quickly find the Gmail setting that you need.
- After you make changes to your settings, click Save Changes to finalize the new/updated configuration.
Gmail user settingsEnd user settings
These settings can be applied to organizational units at any level.
- Themes—Let users choose their own themes.
- Email Read Receipts—Let users request or return email read receipts.
- Dynamic email -- Let users view and interact with Accelerated Mobile Page (AMP) emails. AMP email messages contain dynamic and interactive content. Learn more about AMP emails and how they work with Vault. The default setting for dynamic mail is turned on.
- Mail Delegation—Let users delegate access to their mailbox to other users in the domain. When this setting is on, users can grant access to their Gmail account by adding a delegate. Review detailed steps for setting up mail delegation for your users.
- Name format—Set the name format for users. You can also allow users to customize their format.
- S/MIME—Turn on S/MIME encryption for sending and receiving emails and allow users to upload their own certificates.
- Smart Compose Personalization—Turn on personalized suggestions for Smart Compose when users type emails. When this setting is on, users can turn personalized suggestions on or off. When you change this setting, it can take some time to update for your users. To see the change, users must close then reopen their Gmail web and mobile apps. Learn about Smart Compose and personalized suggestions.
- POP and IMAP access: Disable POP and IMAP access for users (see IMAP and POP access).
- Outlook & BlackBerry Support: Enable G Suite Sync and G Suite Connector for users.
- Automatic forwarding: Specify whether users can automatically forward incoming email to another address (see Disable automatic forwarding).
- Offline Gmail: Enable offline Gmail for users.
- Allow per-user outbound gateways: Allow users to send mail through an external SMTP.
- Image URL proxy whitelist: (top-level org only) Create and maintain a whitelist of internal URLs that bypasses proxy protection (see Image URL proxy whitelist setting).
The controls on the Gmail advanced settings page vary depending on the type of setting you need to configure. For the Setup and End User Access sections, you can make changes directly within the Gmail advanced settings page using check boxes, options, and text boxes.