Important: If your domain is based in Europe, these settings are turned off by default. If you do not choose a value for these settings in the admin console, your users are asked to choose through a pop-up window in their Gmail app.
To give you more control over your information and help support compliance requirements, you or your users can turn on or off Gmail, Chat, and Meet smart features and cross-product data sharing. These settings allow you to determine how your users’ information in Gmail, Chat, and Meet can be used and shared with other Google products.
The settings include:
- Smart features and personalization for Gmail, Chat, and Meet—You choose whether your users’ Gmail, Chat, and Meet data is used to offer smart features within each of these products, by default.
Examples of smart features that depend on Gmail, Chat, and Meet data include:
- Automatic email filtering into different inbox tabs, like Social or Promotions
- Smart Compose and Smart Reply
- Summary cards above an email (for example, for package tracking or for travel itineraries)
- Using an email’s event details to create a calendar entry
- Smart features and personalization for other Google products—You choose whether other Google products available in your domain (other than Gmail, Chat, and Meet) can use Gmail, Chat, and Meet data to personalize the user’s experience in those other products, by default.
Examples of Google product features that depend on Gmail, Chat, and Meet data include:
- Google Assistant reminders of when bills are due
- Google Maps displaying restaurant reservations
- Google Travel bundling of itineraries
- Google Pay loyalty cards and tickets
Decide who turns on or off smart features and personalization
You can turn on or off features for your users, or you can have them turn on or off the features themselves.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Account settingsSmart features and personalization.
- Choose one:
- Do not set a default value for users—Selecting this setting allows your users to choose to turn on or off smart features and personalization for themselves. If you allow users to choose their own settings, it may be helpful to share with them Smart features & personalization controls in Gmail, Chat, Meet, and other Google services.
- Set a default value for users—Selecting this setting and checking the boxes below turns on the smart features and personalization settings for your users, by default.
To turn smart features and personalization on or off, check the appropriate boxes. When checked, smart features and personalization work automatically for users without having to turn on the features themselves. Users can later opt to turn off the features.
Note: If you leave the boxes unchecked, your users decide their own settings.
Changes may take up to 24 hours to propagate to all users. Prior changes can be seen in the Admin audit log.