Here's how to troubleshoot problems you might have when installing Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO).
Try the Log Analyzer
Submit your trace logs to the Google Admin Toolbox Log Analyzer. Most issues can be identified within a few moments of submission.
Get details on where to find your trace log files.
Installations usually are unsuccessful because the version of Microsoft Windows or Outlook doesn't meet the system requirements. Review the system requirements, install any necessary updates, and try the installation again.
If installation still doesn't work, contact your domain administrator. Your administrator needs to turn on certain settings in the Google Admin console before you can use GWSMO.
If you meet the system requirements, installation should take only a few minutes.
After the installation is finished, synchronization begins. If you're importing a lot of Microsoft Exchange data to your Google Account, the initial synchronization can take up to 24 hours. However, you can begin using Outlook immediately. Learn more
- You might have incompatible add-ins for Outlook. Check your Microsoft documentation for information on turning add-ins on or off.
- Check if you're experiencing network traffic issues.
- Anti-virus software or a third-party application with access to your Outlook .pst files can prevent GWSMO from working. Turn off these applications.
Note: Google Cloud Support can provide support for GWSMO, but not for Windows or Outlook.
This issue is usually caused by installing Exchange Server management tools, which includes an incompatible version of MAPI32.DLL.
To fix the issue, uninstall the Exchange Server management tools. If that doesn't solve the problem, run fixmapi.exe.
This can occur after you change your Windows password. To fix the issue, you need to enter the new password in your GWSMO profile:
- In the Start menu, go to Google Workspace SyncDelete saved Google Workspace Sync passwords.
- Open Outlook and then open your GWSMO profile. You'll be prompted to re-enter your password.
Are there known issues?
To find out, go to Google Workspace Known Issues. Search under Data migration and sync and Device syncing.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.