When you buy an eligible device from the Google Store, add Preferred Care1 to get the following benefits:
- 2 years of accidental damage coverage, effective when your device ships
- One year of mechanical breakdown coverage, effective after the one-year manufacturer's warranty expires (2 years of mechanical breakdown coverage total)
Preferred Care is currently available for Pixel 4, Pixel 4XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel Slate, Pixelbook, and Pixelbook Go devices purchased in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico (depending on availability). Claims are subject to a deductible outlined in the Deductible Costs section below.
Buy Preferred Care with a device on the Google Store
To purchase Preferred Care with a device from the Google Store:
- Select a device and continue to the Services page.
- In the "Preferred Care" box, select Add to order.
- Complete the checkout process. Your coverage period starts when your device ships.
Buy Preferred Care after you’ve purchased a device from the Google Store
To purchase Preferred Care after you purchased your device from the Google Store, you can do so up to 15 days after your device has been shipped.
- Navigate to your order history page at store.google.com/orderhistory.
- Locate the order you’d like to add Preferred Care to.
- To view the order details, select View or edit order. A banner will be at the top of the page for devices eligible for Preferred Care.
- To navigate to the “Add Preferred Care” screen, click Check eligibility.
- Select the eligible device to add Preferred Care to.
- To proceed to checkout, at the bottom, click Next.
- Once Preferred Care is purchased, a new order will be generated with a separate email confirmation.
Tip: When you buy Preferred Care through the Google Store, device repair or replacement is handled by Assurant, our partner company who will provide coverage for your device.
What it covers
Preferred Care covers your device for up to 2 incidents of accidental damage (including drops, liquid spills, and cracks) over the term of your coverage. To start a claim, follow these steps.
For Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel Slate, Pixelbook, and Pixelbook Go
These devices sold in the US and Canada come with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty to cover device malfunctions that occur through no fault of the owner. Preferred Care from the Google Store provides similar coverage for the second year.
- If your device malfunctions in the first year after you bought it, contact Google.
- If it malfunctions in the second year, visit mydeviceprotect.com or call Assurant at 877-406-4372.
- If you don’t know how long it’s been since you bought your device, check your order history on the Google Store.
For Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
All Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL phones sold in the US and Canada come with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty to cover device malfunctions that occur through no fault of the owner.
- If your device malfunctions in the first 2 years after you bought it, contact Google.
- If it malfunctions after the 2-year manufacturer’s warranty but within 30 months of when you bought the device, visit mydeviceprotect.com or call Assurant at 877-406-4372.
- If you don’t know how long it’s been since you bought your device, check your order history on the Google Store or the store where you bought your phone.
Preferred Care repair and replacements are subject to the deductibles below:
(US & PR)
|Category||Device||Mechanical/Electrical Breakdown||Accidental Damage2 - Screen Repair3||Accidental Damage2 - All Other|
|Pixel 4 XL||$149||$99||$149|
|Pixel 3a XL||$89||$39||$89|
|Pixel 3 XL||$129||$79||$129|
|Pixel 2 XL||$99||$99||$99|
Start a Preferred Care claim for your device
Important: Before you file a claim for a device that doesn’t work, turn it off and then on again.
What to know about filing a claim
Start your claim as soon as possible (within 90 days of the damage occurring in most locations, one year in Wisconsin).
Walk-in repairs are available through UBREAKIFIX for Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 2, and Pixel 2 XL screen repairs only. You can save $50 on your deductible when repairing your Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, and Pixel 4 XL device through UBREAKIFIX.
You can have up to two approved accidental damage claims during the term of your coverage. There is an unlimited number of approved claims allowed for mechanical/electrical breakdown. A deductible will apply for each approved claim as listed in the deductibles chart.
If your claim is authorized for a replacement, your replacement can only be shipped to the same country where you bought coverage. Your replacement may be a new, refurbished, or recertified device of like kind and quality. For complete details, read sample terms and conditions.
File a Preferred Care claim on the web
File a Preferred Care claim over the phone
- To find your device’s IMEI number (for phones) or serial number (for all other devices), go to your order details page.
- Call Assurant at 877-406-4372. You’ll need your credit card to pay the deductible as listed in the deductibles chart.
- If your claim is authorized for a replacement, you’ll get an email confirming your approved replacement. If your claim is authorized for walk-in repair, you’ll receive an email with walk-in center location information.
- If you get a replacement device:
- Print the RMA packing slip attached to your confirmation email and put it in the box with your damaged device. You can reuse the box your replacement came in.
- Print the attached prepaid shipping label. Then, put the shipping label on the outside of the box.
- To find out how to ship your package, check the shipping label.
- Send your damaged device back within 14 days of getting your replacement.
- If you don't return your device in the 14-day window, you will be charged the unrecovered equipment fee listed in your coverage documents.
- To find out when your package has been received, you can track it with the return tracking number on your shipping label.
When you can get a replacement
You may be entitled to a replacement in the accidental damage or device malfunction situations described above.
Replacements are not available if:
- You lost your device, it was stolen, or you don’t have it anymore.
- Your claim is for accidental damage and your device has been replaced twice for accidental damage already.
For a complete list of exclusions, read Preferred Care from the Google Store Sample Terms and Conditions.
Cancel or transfer Preferred Care
Cancel and get a refund
- Within 30 days of buying: If you haven’t filed a claim, you can get a full refund for Preferred Care.
- After 30 days: You can get a prorated refund (less any claims paid up to the cancellation date).
Transfer Preferred Care
Get a refund for a returned device
1Plan is provided by Federal Warranty Service Corporation in all states except CA, where it’s Sureway, Inc., FL, where it’s United Service Protection, Inc., and OK, where it’s Assurant Service Protection, Inc. All these companies operate under the trade name Assurant. For more information, including limitations and exclusions, read Preferred Care Sample Terms and Conditions. Your service contract with Assurant and related communications will be delivered via email. To view your documents, you must provide us with a valid email address. You will also need a device with Internet access, print and/or storage capability. If you do not receive your service contract within 2 business days, or you would like to request a paper copy, please contact Assurant at 877-406-4372. For customer support and general program inquiries, call 877-406-4372. To request a sample copy of the terms and conditions specific to your state, call 866-450-5185.
2Claim limits apply. Refer to your coverage documents for details.
3When service is provided at one of our participating walk-in centers. Walk-in centers are not available in every state. Check locations here.