To remove all data from your phone, you can reset your phone to factory settings. Factory resets are also called “formatting” or “hard resets.”
Important: A factory reset erases all your data from your phone.
If you want to reset your phone to fix an issue, we recommend that you first try other solutions. Learn how to troubleshoot your issue.Know Google Account username & password
To restore your data after you reset your phone, you must enter security info. When you enter the info, it shows that you or someone you trust did the reset.
Required security info includes:
- A Google Account on the phone. To find your account:
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap Passwords & accounts.
- To the right of Google app , you can find the Google Account username associated with the phone.
- Your password for the Google Account associated with the phone. To confirm the password, sign in to that account on another device or computer. If you don't remember your password, get sign-in help.
- Your phone's PIN, pattern, or password if there’s a screen lock. If you can't unlock the phone, learn what options you have.
Tip: If you recently reset your Google Account password, wait 24 hours before you perform a factory reset.
A factory data reset erases all your data from the phone. While data stored in your Google Account can be restored, your apps and their data are uninstalled.
To prepare to restore your data, check that it's in your Google Account. Learn how to:
A factory reset can take up to an hour.
- Charge your phone to at least 70%. Learn how to charge your phone.
- Connect your phone to Wi-Fi or your mobile network. When the factory reset completes, you must be connected to sign in to your Google Account.
If you can’t reset from Settings or you can’t use your screen, try a reset with your phone’s buttons.
- If your phone is on, press and hold the Power button to turn it off.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and Power button at the same time for 10-15 seconds.
- If you hold the buttons for too long, the phone restarts. If this happens, try again from step 1.
- Use the volume buttons to change the menu options until "Recovery Mode" is displayed on screen. To select, press the Power button once.
- On your screen, “No command” is displayed. Press and hold the Power button. While you hold Power, press the Volume Up button and let go of both buttons quickly.
- Android Recovery options should be displayed. With the volume buttons, scroll to "Wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power button.
- With the volume buttons, scroll to "Factory data reset" and press the Power button.
- Factory reset should start. At the bottom of your screen, when the reset is finished, "Data wipe complete" is displayed.
- With the volume buttons, scroll to "Reboot system now" and press the Power button.
- To set up your Pixel, after the phone completes the OS install, tap Start.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your phone and restore your backed-up data. Learn how to back up or restore data.
Use the Update & Software Repair tool (Pixel 3 & later)
We recommend you use this tool because of these benefits:
- You may be able to update your software manually to the latest version without a factory reset. This manual update may resolve software issues without requiring you to delete and restore your data.
- You can use this tool to reset your device to the most recent version of Android. Other factory reset options keep the same software version that is on your phone, which may not be the most recent version. This option still requires you to back up, delete, and restore your data
Important: Before you use the Update and Software Repair tool, you must have a computer and a USB cord that can connect to your phone.
- Connect your phone to a computer with a USB cord.
- Go to https://pixelrepair.withgoogle.com.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap System Reset options Erase all data (factory reset).
- To erase all data from your phone's internal storage, tap Erase all data.
- If needed, your phone asks for your PIN. Enter your PIN and then tap Erase all data.
- When your phone finishes the reset, pick the option to restart.
- Set up your phone and restore your backed-up data. Learn how to restore your Pixel’s data.
Other issues with Pixel phone reset
Important: If you remove your Google Account, your backup will be deleted.
If you can't factory reset your device and want to remove your Google Account from the device, follow these steps:
- Go to myaccount.google.com.
- On the left, tap Security Your devices.
- On the device, tap More Sign out.