Get a SIM card & insert it into a Pixel phone
You can connect your phone to a mobile network with an active nano SIM card or eSIM. Without one, you’ll see a “No SIM card” message.
All phones can use nano SIM cards. Some phones can also use eSIM.
If you buy a Pixel 3 or Pixel 2 phone on the Google Store:
- In the US, you can pick no SIM card or a pre-inserted Verizon SIM card. If Verizon is your mobile carrier, activate your SIM card on their site.
- In other countries, your phone comes with no SIM card.
If you need a SIM card
To get a nano SIM card, contact your mobile service provider. If you're asked for your phone's IMEI number, learn where to see your IMEI number.
If you have a SIM card
You can move your current phone's nano SIM card to your phone instead of getting a new one.
Some phones can use eSIM, depending on the phone and mobile carrier. For details, check with your carrier.
- Pixel 3a and 3 can't use eSIM if the phone was purchased in Japan, or if bought with Verizon or Charter service.
- Pixel 2 can only use eSIM with Google Fi.
- Pixel (2016) can't use eSIM.
With your phone off:
- Into the small hole on the phone's left edge, insert the SIM ejection tool.
Note: On Pixel 3 (2018), the SIM card slot is on the phone's bottom edge.
- Firmly but gently, push until the tray pops out.
- Remove the tray, and put the nano SIM card in the tray.
- Gently, push the tray back into its slot.
You could need to restart your phone to start getting mobile service. To restart a phone that's on, press the power button for about 3 seconds. Then tap Restart .
Important: Some Pixel phones have two IMEI numbers. If you see two IMEIs, IMEI1 is usually paired with the first SIM you set up with your phone. To confirm, check with your mobile carrier.
To find your phone’s IMEI number, check:
- Your phone's box.
- Your phone's SIM card tray.
- Your phone's Settings app: Tap About phone, then look for "IMEI."
Tip: Take a photo of your IMEI number or write it on your paper Quick Start Guide.