Hotel List Feed Upload Tool
This section includes the following topics:
The process for creating a new Hotel List Feed is as follows:
- Create your Hotel List Feed, either as a CSV file (recommended) or XML (for advanced implementations).
- Upload your Hotel List Feed using the Feed Upload tool. If your feed is invalid, fix any data issues and resubmit.
- Google processes your feed to generate a matching estimate. Depending on the size of the feed, this process can take an hour or more.
- After your feed is processed, check your Matching Report to see which hotels, if any, did not match. Fix any data issues and resubmit.
- When you are satisfied with one of your feeds, set the feed to be the live version.
For more information on creating an XML-based feed, see Data Feeds Overview
To be eligible for Google Hotel Ads, a property in your Hotel List Feed must have the following:
- Rooms in which paying guests can stay
- A physical presence and fixed location that is open to the public
- A staffed front desk open during normal business hours
- A minimum stay requirement of no greater than 7 days
You can only include properties that meet the above criteria in your Hotel List Feed.
Common examples of ineligible properties include cruises, vacation rentals, and apartments because they usually don't meet the above criteria.
Google attempts to match properties in your Hotel List Feed to businesses on Google Maps. If your property has missing or incorrect information, it may not be matched.
Our goal in processing your Hotel List Feed is to map your hotel IDs to the canonical listings in Maps. As a result, you can send your hotel IDs in any of our feeds and APIs and we will know which property you are referencing. This is important for updating prices via Transaction messages, bidding via our Bids API, or calling our read-only APIs, where you'll be able to use your hotel IDs to write or read information about a specific property.
To see a list of which hotels are matched and which have data issues, use the Matching Report.
You will not be able to advertise unmatched properties. When creating your Hotel List Feed, please provide all required fields and ensure that the data is accurate.
Create a Hotel List Feed
You can create a Hotel List Feed either as a CSV file (recommended) or XML file. Google recommends that for smaller integrations, you use the CSV syntax described in this section. For larger or more advanced configurations, you can use the XML syntax, as described in Hotel List Feed XML Reference.
A Hotel List Feed CSV file consists of a single header row with the names of the columns, plus an additional row for each hotel in the feed.
The first row specifies the names of the columns to be used in the feed. For example:
Not all fields are required. The following table describes each of the available fields:
||Required||A unique identifier for the hotel. This value must be unique to your site.|
||Required||The name of the hotel. For example, "Mabel's Gabels".|
||Required||The primary street address of the hotel. For example, "66 Acacia Avenue". Note that P.O. boxes or other mailing-only addresses are not considered full physical addresses.|
||Optional||The optional secondary street address of the hotel. For example, "6th Floor".|
||Optional||A third optional portion of the street address of the hotel. For example, "Suite 610".|
||Required||The hotel's city. For example, "London".|
||Required||The hotel's state, province, or region. For example, "Greater London" or "Massachusetts".|
||Required||The hotel's postal code. For example, "90210".|
||Required||The hotel's country. The value must be an ISO 3116 uppercase 2-letter country code. For example, United States is "US" and Canada is "CA".|
||Required*||The main voice telephone number for the hotel. For example, "617-867-5309".|
||Required*||The latitude that corresponds to the location of the listing. For example, "37.423738".|
||Required*||The longitude that corresponds to the location of the listing. For example, "-122.090101".|
|* Either a phone number OR latitude/longitude are required. Both are preferred.|
When specifying data in your feed, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Google recommends that you edit the data with Google Sheets, Excel, or other spreadsheet application and export the file as a CSV.
- The columns can be in any order you choose, but the column names must match the values above.
- All columns must be separated with a comma.
- If one of the values contain a comma, you must surround the value with quotes. For example, "Emerson, Lake, and Powell Hotel".
- If no listings contain a value for a particular column, you can leave out the column (unless it is required).
Rather than using separate columns for each part of an address, you can use a single column,
address, to specify a "freeform" address. Structured addresses are preferred.
When you specify freeform address values, separate each element with a comma (e.g. "76 Buckingham Palace Road, London, Greater London, SW1W 9TQ").
Note: You must surround the value of the address column with quotes. The quotes help to avoid "Missing street name/number" errors in your Matching Report.
address column replaces the
postal_code columns. If you specify a freeform address, you must still specify the
id,name,addr1,city,province,postal_code,country,phone,latitude,longitude 123abc,Belgrave House,76 Buckingham Palace Road,London,Greater London,SW1W 9TQ,UK,123-456-7890,35.070374,-106.213648
The following example shows a hotel that includes coordinate values only (no phone number):
id,name,addr1,city,province,postal_code,country,latitude,longitude 123abc,Belgrave House,76 Buckingham Palace Road,London,Greater London,SW1W 9TQ,UK,35.070374,-106.213648
The following example shows a hotel that includes the phone number only:
id,name,addr1,city,province,postal_code,country,phone 123abc,Belgrave House,76 Buckingham Palace Road,London,Greater London,SW1W 9TQ,UK,123-456-7890
The following example shows a hotel that uses the freeform address style:
id,name,address,country,phone,latitude,longitude 123abc,Belgrave House,"76 Buckingham Palace Road, London, Greater London, SW1W 9TQ",UK,123-456-7890,35.070374,-106.213648
Upload a Hotel List Feed
After you create a Hotel List Feed, you can use the Hotel Ads Center to upload it.
To upload your Hotel List Feed:
- Open the Hotel Ads Center in a browser.
- Select the Tools tab.
- Select Hotel List > Upload in the left hand navigation. The Feed Upload tool displays:
- In the Language input field, enter the language for your feed. For example, enter "English" (the default).
This value is used for the CSV file only. If you instead upload an XML file, the value of this field is ignored because the language is set in the XML file already.
- Click the Select file button.
- Find your Hotel List Feed's CSV or XML file in the file manager and select it.
- Click the Process button to upload your feed.
The Feed Upload tool validates your Hotel List Feed and uploads it. If the validation fails, fix any data issues and resubmit the feed.
If the validation succeeds, then Google runs a match estimate of your Hotel List Feed. This process could take an hour or more, depending on the size of your feed.
To view the details of your match estimate, use the Matching Report.
- After your Hotel List Feed has been processed, you can make it your live feed by using the Hotel List Matching Report. For more information, see Selecting the live feed.
After your feed is processed, check your Matching Report to see which hotels, if any, did not match. Fix any data issues and resubmit.
After you have uploaded at least one Hotel List Feed, you can choose which one to use as the live version. You do this with the Hotel List Matching Report in the Hotel Ads Center.
To choose the live Hotel List Feed:
- Open the Hotel Ads Center in a browser.
- Select the Tools tab.
- Select Hotel List > Matching Report. The report includes an informational box at the top of the display:
The info box displays data about the currently selected feed, including how many properties were in the feed, how many matched, and how many are overclustered.
- Click the drop-down list in the info box:
The drop-down list shows all previous Hotel List Feeds that you have uploaded. The current feed that is live is labelled with "LIVE".
- From the drop-down list, select the feed that you want to use as the live version and click the Set Live button.
After you select the feed version to be live, the console labels it with "NEXT LIVE VERSION" in the drop-down list. This means that it is not yet live, but will be after the Hotel Ads Center has processed it.