Get a refund on Google Play
Google does not give refunds for most Google Play purchases. However there are exceptions (see refund policies below.) You can also contact the developer directly.
If you’ve had a refund request accepted, see how long your refund will take.
Note: This applies to purchases you made on your Google account. If there’s a Google Play purchase on your card or other payment method that you didn’t make, go here.
2 ways to request a refund on Google Play
Important: If you are located in the European Economic Area and made a purchase on or after March 28, 2018, learn how to get a refund.
If the purchase isn’t what you expected, doesn’t work, or you don’t want it any more, you can:
- Get support from the developer of the app, or
- Request a refund on the Google Play website.
Select an option:Option 1: Get support from the developer of the app
Most apps on the Play Store are made by third-party developers, not by Google. The developers should support their apps and make sure they work well for you.
You should contact the app developer if:
- You have a question about an app.
- You made an in-app purchase but it wasn’t delivered or isn’t working as you expected.
- You want a refund and it’s more than 48 hours since you made the purchase. The developer can help with purchase issues, and can process refunds pursuant to its policies and applicable laws.
If it’s less than 48 hours since you bought an app or made an in-app purchase, you can request a refund through Google Play. If you bought music, movies, books, or other content, you may be able to request a refund after more than 48 hours (see policy below).
You can also request a refund by following these instructions. You’ll usually get a decision within 15 minutes.
For hardware devices: To return or get a refund for devices you bought on the Google Store, go to the Google Store refunds page for more information.
Refund policies are different depending on what you bought. Select a link for more information.
You may get an automatic refund if you uninstall a paid app shortly after first buying it. If you want to reinstall the app, you'll have to buy it again and you will not be eligible for a refund on that purchase.
Note: If you give your account or payment details to someone else, appear to be abusing our policies, or don’t protect your account with authentication, we usually can’t issue a refund.
Google does not give refunds for most Google Play purchases. However there are exceptions (see below.) You can also contact the developer directly. The developer can help with purchase issues, and can process refunds pursuant to its policies and applicable laws.
- Within 48 hours: You may be able to get a refund depending on the details of the purchase. Follow these instructions.
- After 48 hours: Contact the developer to troubleshoot and find if you can get a refund. Developers have their own policies and legal requirements and may be able to give you a refund.
Note: You can only return an app or game for a refund once. If you buy it again you will not be able to get a refund. If a refund is issued you will lose access to the item.
Google Play Music and Google Play Newsstand subscriptions
If your video won't play properly, try these tips to fix playback issues. If you would still like a refund or you are requesting the refund for another reason, see the info below.
- If you haven't started watching it yet, you can request a refund within 7 days of your purchase.
- If your movie or TV show is defective, unavailable, or doesn't perform as stated, you can request a refund within 65 days of your purchase.
- If you return the movie or TV show for a refund it may be removed from your library and you may not be able to watch it.
If your music won't play try to fix music playback issues. If you would still like a refund or you are requesting the refund for another reason, see the info below.
For Google Play Music subscriptions
Once your subscription starts you can’t get a refund for any payments you’ve already made. If you don’t want to subscribe any more, cancel your subscription. You will still have access to the subscription until the end of the period you have paid for.
Note: For subscriptions to Pandora, Spotify, or other music streaming subscriptions, see the apps, games, and in-app purchases section above.
For individual songs and albums
Depending on your specific situation, you may be able to return a song or album within 7 working days of purchase as long as you haven't downloaded it or played it. Once you download or stream music, you can't cancel your order for a refund unless it doesn't work properly.
If you return a song or album it may be removed from your library and you may not be able to listen to it.
If your e-book or audibook won't load or play, try these troubleshooting steps. If you would still like a refund or you are requesting the refund for another reason, see the info below.
For refunds on e-books:
- You may request a refund within 7 days of purchase, except for rentals of e-books for which all sales are final.
- If the e-book doesn’t work, you can request a refund at any time within 65 days of purchase.
Refunds on audiobooks depends on where you bought the audiobook:
- All sales are final, except for the following instances:
- South Korean customers: You can request a refund within 7 days of purchase, as long as you have not started listening to the audiobook.
- If the audiobook doesn’t work, you can request a refund at any time.
If your refund is approved, the e-book or audiobook may be removed from your library and you may not be able to read or listen to it.
Single-issue purchases of magazine titles are not refundable unless you can't access the issue or there is a defect with the content.
Subscriptions can be canceled at any time.
- If you are unable to access the content, we can issue a refund.
- If you cancel within the first 7 days of a monthly (or longer) subscription, we may refund the cost of the month in which you canceled.
Note: We can only refund active subscriptions, and are unable to refund subscriptions that have already ended. If you return a publication it may be removed from your library and you may not be able to access it.
Play gift cards and other prepaid Play balance are not refundable unless required by law. Promotional Play balance is not refundable.
- U.S residents who have redeemed gift cards or non-promotional gift codes may request a refund for their Google Play Balance if the amount is below $10.
- Brazilian residents who have redeemed gift cards or non-promotional gift codes may request the refund of their Google Play Balance.
- Korean residents who have redeemed gift cards or non-promotional gift codes may request a refund of the card amount for residual values of Google Play Balance 40% or less of the face value of gift card.
Google Play gifts refund policy
Note: this applies only to gifts of Google Play credit, Google Play Music subscriptions, or Google Play Books purchased through Google. If your gift was purchased through a third-party retailer, contact the retailer for refund information.
If you want to return your gift, let the purchaser know so they can contact us. Note:
- We can only issue a refund to the person who purchased the gift.
- Refunds can only be issued for gifts which have not been redeemed.
- The gift code is not redeemable once the gift is refunded.
- Refunds for Google Play credit gifts are only available for 3 months after the date of purchase.
How long refunds take
Refunds from Google Play are returned to the payment method used to make the original purchase. Refunds take different amounts of time depending on how you paid.
If your refund is taking longer than expected, check your refund status on your Google Payments account. If the status is "Refunded," you will see a credit on your form of payment. If the status is "Cancelled," the order was never charged and so you will not see a credit on your form of payment.
Estimated Refund time
Credit or debit card
3–5 business days
Processing time can be affected by the card issuer and sometimes takes up to 10 business days.
If your credit card is no longer active, refunds will go to the bank that issued your card. Contact the bank to recover funds.
|Direct carrier billing (prepaid / pay-as-you-go)||
1–30 business days
Processing time can be affected by you carrier and sometimes takes longer.
Direct carrier billing (postpaid / contract)
1-2 monthly statements
Processing time can be affected by your carrier, but refunds will usually appear within 2 monthly billing statements. If it takes longer, contact your carrier to check the status.
Google Play balance (gift card or credit balance)
1 business day
Refunds appear in your Google Payments account. Occasionally this can take up to 3 business days.
Google Wallet balance
1 business day
Refunds appear in your Google Wallet account. Occasionally this can take up to 3 business days.
1-10 business days
Processing time can be affected by your bank, but typically takes between 4 and 10 business days.
3–5 business days
This can sometimes take up to 10 business days. If you're returning the money to a payment method within PayPal (like a linked bank account), contact PayPal for more detailed information.