Watch Google Play videos on your TV
There are a few different ways that you can watch movies and TV shows from Google Play on your TV screen. Select an option below for more information.Using an HDMI cable
To connect your device to your HDTV, you'll need:
- An HDTV that supports High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) and has available HDMI ports. You can check your manufacturer's website to see if your TV is HDCP-compliant.
- An HDMI cable or adapter that allows you to connect your device to your TV.
Once you connect your device and your TV, your device's screen and audio should play through your TV. If your video plays without sound, you may need to change the audio source using your TV settings.
If you have problems viewing videos on your HDTV, try the following:
- Disconnect both ends of your cable and securely reconnect the cable to your device and HDTV.
- If you're using an adapter, make sure the adapter is securely connected to your HDMI cable.
- Check that you're connecting the HDMI cable to the correct HDMI port on your HDTV.
- Confirm that your HDTV is set to the correct HDMI source.
- Restart your mobile device.
Use the Google Play Movies app to purchase or rent videos on your LG Smart TV. You don’t need any cables, just an active Internet connection.
Sign in to your Google Account
- Open the Google Play Movies app on your LG Smart TV.
- Select My Account > Sign in.
- On a web browser on your computer or mobile device, visit google.com/device and enter the code displayed on your TV screen.
- Follow the instructions on your screen.
Search for and purchase videos
- To search for movies and TV shows, use the search icon in the upper left.
- To browse videos, select a category on the left. Use the arrows to scroll through the video options.
- Click a video’s poster to see more information, watch a trailer, or purchase the video to your library.
Note: If you’re having trouble watching a video on your LG Smart TV, make sure you haven’t already downloaded the video on another device. Remove the download from your tablet or mobile device to watch on your TV.
Stream video to your TV with a Chromecast. No cables needed. Play your movie in HD, no matter what device you're streaming from.
Use the Play Movies & TV app to watch videos on your Roku.
Play your video using the Play Movies & TV app on Android TV.
Shana is a Google Play expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.