To help you achieve more conversions at an efficient cost, we’re evolving TrueView for action and scaling its best features to more places with Video action campaigns. Video action campaigns allow you to reach more customers in high-performing places on and off YouTube--all within one campaign. Starting early 2022, all existing TrueView for action campaigns will automatically upgrade to Video action campaigns.
To start preparing for these changes, we recommend creating new Video action campaigns by choosing the responsive ad group type during campaign setup in Google Ads. If you’d like to continue creating TrueView for action campaigns, you can do so until September 30, 2021. Learn more about the upcoming changes to TrueView for action campaigns.
TrueView for action campaigns help drive leads and conversions by adding prominent calls-to-action (CTAs), headline text overlays, and an end screen to your video ads. Using this video campaign subtype, you can encourage customers to explore your product or service, share their contact information, and take other actions valuable to your business.
In this article, you’ll learn how to set up a TrueView for action campaign in Google Ads.
To see subtitles in your language, turn on YouTube captions. Click the Settings icon at the bottom of the video player, select "Subtitles," and then specify your language.
Before you begin
Conversion trackingSet up conversion tracking on your website and make sure the global site tag is working properly. Optimize for lightweight conversion events (such as “add to cart” or “site visit”), and choose a conversion counting option that makes sense for your campaign. This provides valuable signals to our systems so that you can achieve your desired results faster.
Your budget settings affect how quickly we can optimize your campaign for conversions. For campaigns using Target CPA bidding, it’s recommended to set a budget that’s at least 15 times your target CPA. Use the chart below to understand how long it takes to optimize your campaign depending on the current budget.
|Budget setting||Optimization time|
|More than 15 times your target CPA||7 to 8 days|
|10 to 15 times your target CPA||2 weeks|
|5 to 10 times your target CPA||3 weeks|
For campaigns using Maximize conversions bidding, the daily budget should be at least 10 times your expected video CPA.
If you want to achieve optimal results for your campaign, you’ll need to consider things like your bidding strategy, audiences, and creative. You can learn more about these tips in our best practices guide.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button , then select New campaign.
- Select the Sales, Leads, or Website traffic goal.
- For the campaign subtype, Drive conversions is automatically selected.
- Select the Video campaign type.
- Click Continue.
- Enter a name for your campaign.
- In the “Bidding strategy” section, set your bidding strategy to Target CPA or Maximize conversions. If you select Target CPA, set the target amount you’re willing to spend for a conversion.
- In the “Budget and dates” section, set your budget type and the start and end date for the campaign.
- For the budget type, select Daily (the average amount you’d like to spend each day) or Campaign total (the total budget you’d like to spend for the duration of the campaign) and enter the amount you’d like to spend.
- Only enter an end date if you’re running a short-term seasonal campaign or if you're using a campaign total budget instead of a daily budget.
- Select the languages and the locations you want your campaign to target.
- Choose your content exclusion settings to define where your campaign runs.
- (Optional) Click Additional settings to target specific devices, set a frequency cap, and set a schedule for the ad.
- Under “Ad group type”, select Standard.
- Enter a name for your ad group.
- Choose the demographics and audience types you want to reach.
It's recommended to include as many demographic groups as possible. If you limit your targeting to certain demographic groups, your ads may see more limited reach.
- (Optional) Choose the keywords, topics, and placements where you want your ads to show.
Adding too many targeting options or restrictions may limit your campaign’s reach.
- Use the editor to create your ad.
- Your YouTube video: Search for a video you’ve uploaded or paste the video URL from YouTube. Provide the final URL (the landing page people visit when they interact with your ad) and the display URL (the website URL that appears in the ad).
- Call-to-action: Enter a call-to-action that compels people to click on the ad (up to 10 characters).
- Headline: Enter a headline that promotes your product or service (up to 15 characters).
- (Optional) Click Ad URL options (advanced) to add a tracking template, final URL suffix, or custom parameters to the final URL.
- Select either an image that's automatically generated from the videos in your YouTube channel (recommended) or an image that you manually upload as your companion banner. Companion banners appear on computers only.
- Enter a name for your ad.
- Click Create campaign.