Message extensions let potential customers send you text messages right from your ad. With one tap on your ad, people on mobile devices can contact you to book an appointment, get a quote, ask for information, request a service , and more. Message extensions can help you grow your business by giving people another convenient option to reach you.
Google Ads may set up automated message extensions when you set up a call extension using a mobile phone number or when your website indicates that your business goals include getting people to message you. This will allow people to directly message your business. Learn more about automated extensions
This article gives an overview of message extensions. For instructions, go to Use message extensions
Before you start
Message extensions are designed to be shown only to customers on mobile devices capable of sending and receiving text messages. Your business must also have a phone number that's able to receive, process and send text messages.
How message extensions work
When someone taps the message option in your ad from their mobile device, their messaging app will open with a pre-populated message that you create.
- You can show customers extension text that's a specific call to action, like 'Text us to get a car insurance quote'.
- You can choose a default customer message that customers can send directly to you, like 'I’d like to know more. Please text me back'.
- If you’re in the United States, Canada, Brazil or Australia, you can also create an optional auto-reply message, which is automatically sent to customers who contact you through your message extension.
Message delivery options
You can choose to receive and reply to messages from message extensions from your phone number or email address.
- If you choose Phone number, you can respond to the messages that you receive from your ad using your own mobile phone number.
- If you choose Email forwarding, messages will be sent to your email. When you reply to the email, your response will be sent to the customer as a text message, using a phone number automatically provided to you by Google Ads. This can give you more flexibility and allows you to reduce the number of platforms you use to reply to messages. Note: Email forwarding is only available in the United States, Canada, Brazil and Australia, and for Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo email addresses.
Let multiple people from your business respond to messages by creating a group email alias – an email address that automatically forwards emails to everyone that you add to that group – and using that alias for message extensions. That way, if someone messages your business, it’ll be sent to everyone in the group and anyone from that group can reply.
You can add message extensions at the account, campaign or ad group level. Message extensions can run on any Search campaign, ad group or ad. If you create message extensions at different levels (account, campaign or ad group), the most specific will be used. So when you add message extensions to an ad group, those extensions show instead of your campaign- or account-level message extensions. Likewise, campaign-level extensions override account-level extensions. Bear in mind that message extensions are not yet available on the Display Network.
More exposure with no extra Google Ads cost. Adding message extensions to your ad is easy and free – no cost to you.
Grow your business. Creating message extensions can help you grow your business by making it easy for people to contact you.
Share extension across ad groups or campaigns. Quickly set up your extensions according to your specific needs. One extension can apply across an ad group or entire campaign.
Detailed reporting. Get detailed information about messages exchanged between people and your business, track the performance of your extension and optimise your ad's performance by turning on message reporting.