Use message extensions
Let customers viewing your ads on mobile devices send your business a text message with just a tap. To win over people more likely to send a text message than to call, set up free message extensions for your text ads on the Search Network.
Before you begin
Message extensions require you to be able to receive, process, and send text messages. To learn about message extensions, go to About message extensions.
Now take a moment to decide how broadly you want your message extensions to show. Should they show across all your campaigns? A few campaigns? An ad group? Once you’ve decided, you’re ready to follow the instructions below.
Keep in mind that message extensions are not guaranteed to show with your ad all the time. Learn more about When extensions show.
You can create a message extension at the account, campaign, or ad group level.
Choose the Google Ads experience you're using. Learn more
Create message extensions
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- If you want your app extension to be limited to a particular campaign or ad group, choose one from the left navigation bar.
- Click the Ad extensions tab.
- Select View: Message extensions from the drop-down menu.
- Click + Extension.
- Select an existing message extension to add, or create a new extension by clicking + New message extension.
- Enter the information for your message ads:
- Phone number: A phone number that’s capable of sending and receiving text messages.
- Extension text: The text that will go in your click-to-message ad.
- Business name: The name of your business.
- Message text: The message text automatically shows in people’s messaging apps when they tap to send you a message. (For example, the message text might be: “I’d like to know more. Please text me back.”)
- Click Advanced options to restrict the message extension to certain dates or hours of the day.
- Click Save.