The beauty of TrueView ads is you pay when a viewer watches 30 seconds of your video (or the duration if it's shorter than 30 seconds) or engages in other video interactions, such as clicks on the call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards, or companion banners, or on the video thumbnail for video discovery ads. For in-stream ads, a "Skip ad" button also lets viewers opt out of watching the video after 5 seconds.
Advertising with TrueView provides these added benefits:
- Tell your story. You’re the expert of your business, so share your expertise with the world. Be personal. Put the camera on yourself and explain how your product or service can benefit your audience. Show them why they should care about your product or brand.
- Reach just the right audience. Every month, more than 1 billion people visit YouTube and watch over 6 billion hours of YouTube videos. Reach your customers on YouTube by topics, keywords, or demographics like "women under 35."
- Create a video campaign in only a few minutes. Create your account, create or upload your video ad, reach your audience, and you're on your way to telling your story to the world.
- Measure your success. Figure out if you're reaching the right audience. Check your Google Ads account to track views, costs, and budget details. Visit the "Analytics" tab in your YouTube account, or check your Video Analytics in Google Ads, to learn more about your viewers. For example, you can tell which videos your customers are watching and for how long.
- Attract people to your business. Encourage potential customers to explore your product or service, share their contact information, and take other actions valuable to your business. For example, using the Leads campaign goal, you can create ads using the TrueView in-stream ad format to drive clicks and encourage conversions on your website through prominent calls-to-action (CTAs).
With the flexibility of video campaigns, you can advertise your business in multiple ad formats across:
- Video partners on the Google Display Network — Google's network of web content publishers, including video publisher games and apps
How it works
There are 2 TrueView ad formats: in-stream and video discovery. Each ad format appears in a different context, so viewers can interact with each format in a different way. Here's what you need to know:
TrueView in-stream ads
- When to use it: Use this format when you want your video ad to appear before, during, or after other videos on YouTube and video partner sites on the Display Network.
- How you're charged: You pay when a viewer watches 30 seconds of your video (or the duration if it's shorter than 30 seconds) or engages in other video interactions, such as clicks on the call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards, and companion banners.
- Where the ads can appear: On videos across YouTube and on video publisher sites, games, and apps on the Display Network.
TrueView video discovery ads (formerly known as TrueView in-display ads)
- When to use it: Use this format to reach people in moments of discovery, when they’re searching on YouTube or browsing videos on YouTube and across the web.
- How you're charged: You pay when a viewer clicks your ad and begins watching your video.
- Where the ads can appear: Next to YouTube videos, on YouTube search results, on the YouTube mobile homepage.