Create Effective Text Ads: Google Best Practices
Successful marketers need to deliver the right messaging for the right moment. Better creatives improve ad relevance and drive more qualified clicks from your text ads.
In this text ads guide for Google Ads, you’ll learn how to create compelling ads as people search on Google.com.
1. Write compelling, genuine ad copy
- Craft messaging that focuses on user benefits.
Why: Users respond to ads that speak to their needs.
- Tie creatives to your keywords.
Why: Users tend to engage with ads that appear most relevant to their search.
- Avoid generic language in your ads. Use specific calls to action.
Why: Generic calls to action often show decreased engagement with ads.
- Give people answers and avoid questions in text ads.
Why: People come to Google to find answers. Ad copy with a question in the headline often underperforms.
2. Create ad text that appeals to users across devices
- Take full advantage of your character limits.
Why: Longer headlines increase the clickable space of your ads, communicate more to someone who’s searching, and further qualify the clicks that you receive.
Get started: Edit your ad text to take full advantage.
- Focus on your headlines.
Why: The content and quality of your headlines matters and will determine how well your ads perform.
3. Set up your ads for success
- Implement all ad extensions that make sense for your business, trying for at least four.
Why: Ads with multiple extensions often perform better than ads with only one extension. They add useful info for searchers and help your message get noticed.
Get started: Learn about the various ad extensions and when to use them.
- Use keyword insertion and ad customizers if you have a lot of ads to maintain.
Why: You can tailor your creative to a user’s search while reducing your management overhead, including in your URL navigation fields.
4. Test and optimize creatives
- Test and iterate your ad creative.
Why: You can learn about your users’ preferences and improve your performance by honing ad text, especially your headlines.
- Add 3-5 ads per ad group.
Why: Multiple versions give you more options to succeed in each auction.
Get Started: Create a new text ad to give you more options for success in an auction
- Focus your testing efforts on high-value campaigns.
Why: Prioritizing your testing efforts on the places that matter most will help you see the biggest improvements from testing.
- Optimize your ad rotation to prefer the best performing ads
Why: Ads optimized to drive clicks or conversions can improve your competitiveness in auctions.
Get Started: Change the ad rotation setting for a campaign based on your business goal.
- Optimize your ad rotation for clicks or conversions. Optimizing your ad rotation will allow the system to serve the ideal ad for the specific circumstances of each auction.
- Implement 3-5 ads per ad group. The more ads that are present in an ad group, the more options you’ll have for success in an auction.
- Implement at least 4 extensions for each campaign/ad group. At the time of each auction, your ad unit will be assembled with the most appealing extensions. More eligible extensions give your ads more opportunity to meet users’ specific needs.