Google Ads begins with a goal and a campaign.
You'll choose a campaign type based on your marketing goals, brand strategy and how much time you can invest.
This article will help you select the right campaign type for your advertising needs.
Search campaigns are text ads on search results that let you reach people while they’re searching on Google for the products and services you offer.
It's great for driving sales, leads or traffic to your website, as you can show your ads to people who are actively searching for your products and services.
Why choose search campaigns?
- Sales and leads:
- Boost your online sales and signups.
- Consider using leads if you have a longer sales cycle.
- Easy setup:
- Write text ads and pick keywords.
- Skip special files or assets – these aren’t needed.
- Try Smart campaigns for an even easier setup.
- Highly specific targeting: reach people who are actively searching for what you offer.
Display campaigns let you reach a relevant audience with visually engaging ads as they browse millions of websites, apps and Google-owned properties, such as YouTube, to achieve your marketing objectives. Display campaigns are a great way to expand your reach and stay top of mind with an audience beyond just Google Search.
You can also create a Display campaign that uses your data segments to show ads to people who’ve visited your website or have used your app.
Why choose Display campaigns?
- Sales and leads: use visually engaging call to actions to drive sales and signups.
- Awareness and consideration: Create memorable ads to make people aware of your brand or consider your product.
- Reach: Target people beyond search results while they’re browsing websites and apps.
- Your data segments: Follow up with people who’ve already viewed your ads or visited your site.
Types of Display campaigns
It's helpful to use an image editing tool to create square and landscape versions of your display ad in the right dimensions and file size.
Video campaigns let you show video ads on YouTube and other websites.
Some Video campaign types can help you boost general awareness of your brand. Others are designed to drive conversions or get people to shop on your website.
Why choose video campaigns?
- Awareness and consideration: use video ads to make people aware of your brand or consider buying your product.
- Sales and leads: use the 'drive conversions' campaign subtype to set up action-focused video ads.
- Expand your reach: Target people beyond search results while they’re on YouTube.
- Your data segments: Follow up with people who've already viewed your ads or visited your site.
Types of video campaigns
Choose from six types of Video campaigns:
- Drive conversions: Drive sales and leads with action-focused ads and targeting (also known as Video action campaigns).
- Custom video campaign: Customise your settings with different ad types.
- Video reach campaigns: Get the most reach for your budget, either by reaching more unique users (through the use of bumper ads, skippable in-stream ads or an optional mix of the two formats) or by reaching users with your entire message (through the use of non-skippable in-stream ads).
- Outstream: Show mobile-only video ads on websites and apps outside YouTube, playing within content on the page or in an app.
- Influence consideration: Get people to consider your product with skippable in-stream or in-feed video ads.
- Ad sequence: Tell a story with a series of video ads in a sequence.
You'll first need to create your video ad and upload it to YouTube.
Shopping campaigns are product listings that are ideal if you’re a retailer looking to sell your product inventory. Shopping ads appear on search results and the Google Shopping tab.
Shop owners can also use local inventory ads to promote products available at their physical locations.
Why choose Shopping campaigns?
- Retail marketing: use visually engaging product listings to promote your retail products.
- Sales and leads: get people to buy on your online shop or sign up for more.
- Boost a nearby shop front: Sell your local shop inventory to nearby people.
To create a Shopping campaign, you'll first need to have a Merchant Center account where you can upload your product inventory.
App campaigns help you find new app users and increase sales within your app.
This campaign type uses information from your app to automatically optimise ads across Search, Play, YouTube, Discover and over 3 million sites and apps.
Why choose App campaigns?
- App promotion: drive installs, engagements and signups for your app on mobile devices.
- Multi-channel marketing: show your app on Search, Display, Play and YouTube under one campaign.
- Easy setup and management: automate targeting, bidding and ad creation for optimal performance.
Types of App campaigns
Local campaigns help you bring people to your physical shops and venues.
Your ads will be automatically optimised to appear across Search, Display, Google Maps and YouTube.
Why choose Local campaigns?
- In-person shop sales: use online ads to promote your inventory and bring shoppers into your physical shops.
- Promote offers and events: advertise in-store events and local promotions.
- Detailed location info: help people find your business address and hours.
- Multi-channel marketing: show your ads on Search, Display, Maps and YouTube under one campaign.
Smart campaigns are the easiest way to automate your campaigns and get your ads up and running.
Enter your business information and create a few ads, and Google will find the best targeting to get you the most for your time and money.
Why choose Smart campaigns?
- Sales and leads: increase sales and signups for your products and services.
- Easy setup: enter your business information and create a few ads, and Google will automate your campaign.
- Advanced optimisation: Google will optimise your ads and targeting for you.