Create a Video action campaign to drive more conversions while optimizing for the lowest CPA. Video action campaigns generate multiple ad combinations that show to the right people in the most relevant ad formats. In this article, you’ll learn how to set up a Video action campaign.
To see subtitles in your language, turn on YouTube captions. Click the Settings icon at the bottom of the video player, select "Subtitles," and then specify your language.
Before you begin
Conversion trackingSet up conversion tracking on your website and make sure the global site tag is working properly. Optimize for lightweight conversion events (such as “add to cart” or “site visit”), and choose a conversion counting option that makes sense for your campaign. This provides valuable signals to our systems so that you can achieve your desired results faster.
Your budget settings affect how quickly we can optimize your campaign for conversions. For campaigns using Target CPA bidding, it’s recommended to set a budget that’s at least 15 times your target CPA. Use the chart below to understand how long it takes to optimize your campaign depending on the current budget.
|Budget setting||Optimization time|
|More than 15 times your target CPA||7 to 8 days|
|10 to 15 times your target CPA||2 weeks|
|5 to 10 times your target CPA||3 weeks|
For campaigns using Maximize conversions bidding, the daily budget should be at least 10 times your expected video CPA.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the page menu on the left, click Video campaigns.
- Click the plus button , then select New campaign.
- Select the Sales, Leads, or Website traffic goal.
- Select the Video campaign type.
- For the campaign subtype, Drive conversions is automatically selected.
- Click Continue.
- Enter a name for your campaign.
- In the “Bidding strategy” section, set your bidding strategy to Target CPA or Maximize conversions. If you select Target CPA, set the target amount you’re willing to spend for a conversion.
- In the “Budget and dates” section, set your budget type and the start and end date for the campaign.
- For the budget type, select Daily (the average amount you’d like to spend each day) or Campaign total (the total budget you’d like to spend for the duration of the campaign) and enter the amount you’d like to spend.
- Only enter an end date if you’re running a short-term seasonal campaign or if you're using a campaign total budget instead of a daily budget.
- Select the languages and the locations you want your campaign to target.
- Choose your content exclusion settings to define where ads in your campaign can show.
- (Optional) Click Additional settings to target specific devices, set a frequency cap, and set a schedule for the ad.
- (Optional) If you want to add a product feed to your campaign, expand the “Product feed” box and click the checkbox.
- Under “Ad group type”, select Responsive.
- Enter a name for your ad group.
- Choose the demographics and audience types you want to reach.
It's recommended to include as many demographic groups as possible. If you limit your targeting to certain demographic groups, your ads may see more limited reach.
- Use the editor to create your ad.
- Your YouTube video: Search for a video you’ve uploaded or paste the video URL from YouTube. Provide the final URL (the landing page people visit when they interact with your ad) and the display URL (the website URL that appears in the ad).
- Call-to-action: Enter a call-to-action that compels people to click on the ad (up to 10 characters).
- Headline: Enter a headline that promotes your product or service (up to 15 characters). This will be used in in-stream ads.
- Long headline: Enter a longer version of the headline that promotes your product or service (up to 90 characters). This will be used in video discovery ads.
- Description: Enter a description of the product or service (up to 70 characters).
- (Optional) Click Ad URL options (advanced) to add a tracking template, final URL suffix, or custom parameters to the final URL.
- Select either an image that's automatically generated from the videos in your YouTube channel (recommended) or an image that you manually upload as your companion banner. Companion banners appear on computers only.
- Enter a name for your ad.
- Click Create campaign.