Google Ads begins with a goal and a campaign.
You'll choose a campaign type based on your marketing goals, brand strategy, and how much time you can invest.
This article helps you select the right campaign type for your advertising needs.
Search campaigns are text ads on search results that let you reach people while they’re searching on Google for the products and services you offer.
It's great for driving sales, leads, or traffic to your website, as you can show your ads to people actively searching for your products and services.
Why choose Search campaigns
- Sales and leads:
- Boost your online sales and signups.
- Consider using leads if you have a longer sales cycle.
- Easy setup:
- Write text ads and pick keywords.
- Skip special files or assets—these aren’t needed.
- Try Smart campaigns for an even easier setup.
- Highly specific targeting: Reach people actively searching for what you offer.
Display campaigns are image ads on websites that let you reach people with visually engaging ads as they browse across millions of websites and apps. Display is a great way to expand the reach of your Search campaigns to other parts of the web.
Display also allows you to follow up with remarketing ads to new and existing customers.
Why choose Display campaigns
- Sales and leads: Use visually engaging call-to-actions to drive sales and signups.
- Awareness and consideration: Create memorable ads to make people aware of your brand or consider your product.
- Expand your reach: Target people beyond search results while they’re browsing websites and apps.
- Remarketing: Follow up with people who’ve already seen your ads or visited your site.
Types of Display campaigns
Choose from 3 types of Display campaigns:
It's helpful to use an image editing tool to create square and landscape versions of your display ad in the right dimensions and file size.
Video campaigns let you show video ads on YouTube and other websites.
Some Video campaign types can help you boost general awareness of your brand. Others are designed to drive conversions or get people to shop on your website.
Why choose Video campaigns
- Awareness and consideration: Use video ads to make people aware of your brand or consider buying your product.
- Sales and leads: Use the “Drive conversions” campaign subtype to set up action-focused video ads.
- Expand your reach: Target people beyond search results while they’re on YouTube.
- Remarketing: Follow up with people who've already seen your ads or visited your site.
Types of Video campaigns
Choose from 9 types of video campaigns:
- Drive conversions: Drive sales and leads with action-focused ads and targeting.
- Custom video campaign: Customize your settings with different ad types.
- Skippable in-stream: Drive awareness with skippable ads.
- Non-skippable in-stream: Drive awareness with 15-second non-skippable ads.
- Bumper: Drive awareness with 6-second non-skippable ads.
- Outstream: Tailor your video ads to phones and tablets.
- Influence consideration: Get people to consider your product with skippable or discovery ads.
- Ad sequence: Tell a story with a series of video ads in a sequence.
You'll first need to create your video ad and upload it to YouTube.
Shopping campaigns are product listings that are ideal if you’re a retailer looking to sell your product inventory. Shopping ads appear on search results and the Google Shopping tab.
Store owners can also use local inventory ads to promote products available at their physical locations.
Why choose Shopping campaigns
- Retail marketing: Use visually engaging product listings to promote your retail products.
- Sales and leads: Get people to buy on your online store or sign up for more.
- Boost a nearby storefront: Sell your local store inventory to nearby people.
To create a Shopping campaign, you'll first need to have a Merchant Center account where you can upload your product inventory.
App campaigns help you find new app users and increase sales within your app.
This campaign type uses information from your app to automatically optimize ads across Search, Play, YouTube, Discover, and over 3 million sites and apps.
Why choose App campaigns
- App promotion: Drive installs, engagements, and signups for your app on mobile devices.
- Multi-channel marketing: Show your app on Search, Display, Play, and YouTube under one campaign.
- Easy setup and management: Automate targeting, bidding, and ad creation for optimal performance.
Types of App campaigns
If your account is eligible, you may see 2 App campaign subtypes:
- App installs: Focus your ads on getting people to download your app.
- App engagement: Get existing users to take actions in your app.
Local campaigns help you bring people to your physical stores and venues.
Your ads will be automatically optimized to appear across Search, Display, Google Maps, and YouTube.
Why choose Local campaigns
- In-person store sales: Use online ads to promote your inventory and bring shoppers into your physical stores.
- Promote offers and events: Advertise in-store events and local promotions.
- Detailed location info: Help people find your business address and hours.
- Multi-channel marketing: Show your ads on Search, Display, Maps, and YouTube under one campaign.
Smart campaigns are the easiest way to automate your campaigns and get your ads up and running.
Enter your business information and create a few ads, and Google finds the best targeting to get you the most for your time and money.
Why choose Smart campaigns
- Sales and leads: Increase sales and signups for your products and services.
- Easy setup: Enter your business information and create a few ads, and Google will automate your campaign.
- Advanced optimization: Google optimizes your ads and targeting for you.