To see subtitles in your language, turn on YouTube captions. Select the 'Settings' icon at the bottom of the video player, then select 'Subtitles/CC' and choose your language.
Performance Max is a new goal-based campaign type that allows performance advertisers to access all of their Google Ads inventory from a single campaign. It's designed to complement your keyword-based Search campaigns to help you find more converting customers across all of Google's channels like YouTube, Display, Search, Discover, Gmail and Maps.
Performance Max helps you drive performance based on your specified conversion goals, delivering more conversions and value by optimising performance in real time and across channels using Smart Bidding. Performance Max combines Google's automation technologies across bidding, budget optimisation, audiences, creatives, attribution and more. They're all empowered by your specific advertising objective (for example, if you have a CPA or ROAS target) and the creative assets, audience signals and optional data feeds you provide.
Find more converting customers
- You customise the goals that matter to your business and maximise conversions or conversion value.
- Performance Max allows you to engage customers across Google's channels.
- With Google’s real-time understanding of consumer intents and preferences, paired with your input using audience signals, Performance Max can unlock new customer segments that you may not have expected.
Drive more value
- Data-driven attribution across channels optimises for the most incremental touch points that drive customers to conversion.
- Machine-learning models are used to make more accurate predictions about which ads, audiences and creative combinations perform best for you.
Acquire rich insights
- Performance Max asset reporting can help you understand which creatives are impacting performance and help you optimise campaign creatives to drive ROI.
- New insights, such as rising search trends, can help you understand changes in performance and inform your broader business strategy.
When to use it
Performance Max is the best option to use when:
- You have specific advertising and conversion goals (for example, driving online sales, lead generation and others).
- You want to maximise the performance of your campaign, and you aren't limited by which channel your ads appear on.
- You want to easily access all of Google’s advertising channels using a single campaign.
- You want to get additional reach and conversion value beyond keyword-based Search campaigns.
Google Ads automation
Google Ads automation uses machine learning to grow your business. You can add your unique expertise such as budget, business goals and conversions that you want to measure. Google Ads automation will then find potential customers for your goals and serve the most appropriate ad, with the optimal bid, to maximise campaign performance.
Smart Bidding combined with attribution technology helps to determine the best options for your campaign across all Google inventory and to determine bids on the auctions that have the highest probability of meeting your business goals in real time. Our machine learning is enhanced when you add audience signals to your Performance Max campaign.
Performance Max uses machine-learning models to optimise bids and placements to drive conversions or conversion value for your goals, but you provide important inputs like audience signals (including your customer data), and high-quality text, images and video that can significantly improve your campaign performance. You can also provide important inputs about what types of conversions are most valuable to your business by applying conversion values and setting value rules. Account-level brand safety settings are also available so you can tell Google Ads about the types of content where you don’t want your ads to appear.
How Performance Max works with Search campaigns or keywords in your account
- Performance Max complements existing Search campaigns and respects your keyword targeting.
- If the user’s query is identical to an eligible Search keyword of any match type in your account, the Search campaign will be prioritised over Performance Max.
- If the query is not identical to an eligible Search keyword, the campaign or ad with the highest Ad Rank, which considers creative relevance and performance, will be selected.
- At times, you may see existing keywords showing in Performance Max instead of Search campaign due to ineligibility factors. A Search keyword is not eligible to trigger an ad if:
- The campaign is limited by budget.
- It has low search volume status.
- All creatives or landing pages for the ad group are disapproved.
- All campaign or ad group targeting isn’t met.
Advertisers with a Google Merchant Center feed
- Any advertiser with a Merchant Center feed can create a Performance Max campaign.
- You can create up to 100 Performance Max campaigns in your Google Ads account. For the best performance, we recommend consolidating your Performance Max campaigns where possible.
- In Europe, Performance Max campaigns can be used with any Comparison Shopping Service (CSS) that you work with. The ads will show on general search results pages and on any other surfaces that the CSS has opted in to.
Advertisers with a shop visit goal
Here are some reminders for advertisers with a shop visit goal:
- Any advertiser with shop visits and local calls or directions set up as a conversion goal can create a Performance Max campaign.
- Campaigns with a shop visit only (local) goal will be in Beta until 2022.
- Advertisers who formerly used Local campaigns can continue optimising to offline goals using Performance Max campaigns with no additional budget or inventory required.