When you have your phone and your Google Fi sim card or eSIM set up, and you've done all your prep work, you're ready to transfer your number to Google Fi.
Once you have your phone
Make sure your phone is off and insert your SIM card. If you have a Pixel 2 and up, you can skip this step and turn on your phone. If you lost your Fi SIM card or secret code, you can order another one.
You'll set up the phone and then start your transfer. You'll be asked to enter account info from your current carrier.
Bringing your own Fi phone? Make sure to follow these steps to activate service before starting your number transfer.
- You’ll see the status in the Google Fi app and website. Find out how long transfers usually take.
- While the transfer is happening, you can still use your old phone for calls and texts until your transfer completes. You’ll also be able to use data while the transfer is happening.
- You can change your plan while your number is being transferred if you need to.
After your transfer is done
You’ll get a notification on your Google Fi phone when your transfer is finished.
If your number transfer doesn't go through, you'll see a notification in the Google Fi app. You can troubleshoot the transfer, or you can always use the buttons below to contact a Google Fi expert.
Keep in mind that some features might not work immediately after your transfer is completed. There might be a brief delay from when your number is ported and you can send and receive text messages again.
Once you get your Google Fi phone and the transfer is finished:
- If you had a single line: Make sure your plan with your previous carrier is cancelled.
- If you had a family plan: Make sure the account owner isn't being charged for the line you transferred out to Google Fi.
- Many carriers will cancel your line automatically after you transfer out your number, but you should check with the carrier.
Transfer number after activation
Initiate a number transfer
If you did not transfer your number during activation, you can still do so from your Fi accountin the Fi app or a web browser.
- Sign in to the account that you would like to transfer the number to.
- Navigate to your profile and click on the device you want to transfer the number to.
- To initiate the transfer process, click "Transfer a number to Fi."
If you can't find "Transfer a number to Fi," to start the process, contact Google Fi Support.
If you're having issues porting your number, you can troubleshoot your transfer.