You can keep your phone number when you switch to Google Fi. Mobile, landline, and Google Voice numbers are welcome. You start the process when you sign up for Google Fi.How long it takes to transfer a number
You start the transfer once you open the Fi app to activate your phone.
- Mobile numbers and numbers from Google Voice usually transfer within 24 hours.
- Landlines can take a few business days.
How do I know if my number can be transferred? When you sign up for Google Fi, we let you know if your number is transferable.
If I’m on a family plan, can I transfer my number? Yes. Keep in mind that depending on your current plan, this may impact the other people still on the family plan. We recommend calling your carrier to check.
If I transfer my number, can I take it with me if I decide to switch carriers? Yes. You can cancel your Google Fi service and transfer your number to another carrier at any time.
Can I activate Google Fi service with a new number and transfer my number later? Yes. Learn how to initiate a number transfer after activation.
Can I use my own phone and transfer my number? Yes. Download the Google Fi app and follow the instructions to sign up or start your transfer.
- You can still use your old phone for calls and texts until your transfer completes. You can also use data on your active phone during the transfer. Once the transfer completes, you get a notification on the phone you use with Fi.
- If you bring your own phone to Fi, you can use your old SIM card.
What to do before you start the transferKeep your current phone service active
Do not cancel your current phone service. It must be active for the transfer to go through. Once your transfer is finished, confirm that your plan with your previous carrier is canceled. Many carriers cancel it automatically after you transfer your number, but you should still check with the carrier.
If your phone is new, make sure to keep your previous phone around. While the transfer is happening, you can still use your previous phone for calls and texts until the transfer completes.
If you’re under contract with your current carrier, check if there are any early termination fees. If so, you might be charged a fee for leaving your contract early. If you have questions, contact your current carrier.
Check transferring fees. Check if your current carrier charges any fees when you transfer out your number.
To make sure the transfer request is authorized, some carriers have locks on their user’s numbers. To make sure your number is ready for transfer, go to your current carrier’s website or app and sign in to your account. To make sure the number is unlocked and ready for transfer, follow their steps.
If you can't verify if the number is unlocked, you must call your current carrier for assistance.
Even if your phone or SIM card hasn’t arrived, you can still go to your Google Fi account page to enter your carrier info. Providing your carrier info makes activation easier, and your info is automatically downloaded to your phone.
We recommend that you check with your previous carrier for the most recent info.Verizon
You must have:
- The Verizon number that you'd like to transfer
- The Verizon account holder’s name
- The billing address associated with the Verizon account
- Your Verizon account number
- Your Verizon number transfer PIN
If you’ve set up Verizon Number Lock, you must remove it.contact Verizon support.
You must have:
- The AT&T number you'd like to transfer
- The AT&T account holder’s name
- The billing address associated with the AT&T account
- Your AT&T wireless account number
- Your AT&T number transfer PIN
To start a number transfer, make a Number Transfer PIN. Use that PIN to start the number transfer on the Google Fi website. For questions about AT&T port protection and Number Transfer PINs, contact AT&T Support.
After you start the number transfer, you may get a text message from AT&T that asks you to confirm the transfer. Once you respond to the text message, retry the number transfer.Important: If you don’t receive a text message from AT&T, make sure that your AT&T service is still active and that your AT&T SIM card is still in your phone. If you still don’t receive a text message from AT&T, contact AT&T’s Global Fraud team at 866-563-4705 for assistance.
You must have:
- The T-Mobile number that you'd like to transfer.
- The T-Mobile account holder’s name.
- The billing address associated with the T-Mobile account.
- Your T-Mobile account number.
- Your T-mobile number transfer PIN.
Your US Cellular account number is either the account number or customer ID on your bill. If you’re having trouble finding this information, contact US Cellular support.
If you transfer from Republic Wireless, Cricket, Metro PCS, or another carrier, you can usually find the relevant information on your bill.
You must have:
- The phone number that you'd like to transfer
- Name of the account owner
- Account number from your current carrier
- Account PIN or passcode
- Billing address of the account owner
Transfers can take up to 48 hours before text message service works.
Tracfone, NET10, Straight Talk, Total Wireless, Walmart Family Mobile & GoSmart, Page Plus Cellular, and Simple Mobile use port protection. If your account has port protection enabled, you need to disable it before you can transfer your number to Fi. To learn how to disable port protection, contact your previous carrier.
- Account Name: OOMA
- Account Address:
1880 Embarcadero Rd
Palo Alto, CA 94303
- Account Number: The user's 10-digit phone number (area code + phone number)
- Account PIN: 0000
The Magic Jack Porting Department phone number is 833-840-4357.
There's no standard set between VoIP providers for number transfer requirements. You can ask your VoIP provider to find out what's needed for the transfer of your number to Google Fi.
VoIP number transfers can take up to 5 days to complete.
If you keep your current phone, then your contact and messages remain unaffected.
If you switch to a new Android phone from another Android phone:
- If you're signed in with your Google Account on your previous phone, your contacts are automatically on your new phone upon sign-in. You can also manually add contacts to your new phone.
- Learn how to sync photos, files, and music to your Google Account.
- Depending on your phone, you can also copy your text messages with a cable.
- Transfers from Google Voice and Republic Wireless can take up to 48 hours before SMS service works.
If you switch to Android from an iPhone:
Once you're ready, you can simply follow our step-by-step guide to transfer your phone number to Google Fi.