Create a line item
Follow the instructions below if you'd like to create a line item with new pricing, quantity, and targeting settings. If, however, you'd like to duplicate an existing line item's settings, you can copy a line item instead. Depending on your network setup, you might see additional line item fields, or some of the fields listed below might not be available.
To create a line item:
- Click the Delivery tab.
- Create a new order or click an existing order in the table.
- Click New line item. (If you're creating a new order, you can skip this step.)
- Enter basic information about the line item.
- Enter a line item name. Line item names must be unique within the order.
- Enter the inventory sizes of the creatives you plan to upload.
- (Optional) If your line item will have multiple creatives or you will be using ad unit frequency capping, click provide some creative details to help get more accurate forecast results. You should enter creative sizes, the number (count) for each size, and any ad unit frequency capping labels.
- (Optional) Add labels, which can be used to prevent two line items in the same category from being shown on the same page or prevent line items from being delivered in emergency situations.
- (Optional) Allow a same advertiser exception if you want the line item to be able to be delivered to webpages at the same time as other line items from the same advertiser when a competitive exclusion label is active.
- (Optional) Enter comments that might help with trafficking the line item.
- (Optional) Add custom fields to help organize the line item in reports.
- In the Settings section, enter the line item type, dates, quantity, and cost, as well as any discount you want to take from the line item's cost. (If you're creating a sponsorship or network line item with CPM pricing, the Discount field is not available.) You can also add a grace period to standard and bulk line items to give them more time to reach its goal. For sponsorship line items
Enter the goal, or percentage of total impressions in your network, for the sponsorship line item. The goal is for the lifetime of the line item and is used only for reporting purposes.
Optionally, set a minimum quantity contractually sold for the line item.
- (Optional) Make changes in the Adjust delivery section. Optional delivery settings
- Deliver impressions:
- Evenly (default): Serve impressions as evenly as possible across the number of days specified in a line item. Note that pacing can still vary on an hourly basis.
- Frontloaded: Serve more impressions at the beginning of the line item's run.
- As fast as possible: Block lower-priority or lower-value line items from delivering in the selected placements until the requirements of the line item are met. Selecting this option may result in delivery of all booked impressions well before the specified end date for the line item. The default behavior is to deliver ads evenly across the line item's delivery period.
- Display Creatives:
- Only one: Show only one creative per page if multiple creatives are associated with this line item.
- One or more (default): Allow multiple creatives associated with this line item to show.
- As many as possible: Show creatives in as many ad units as possible.
- All: Only delivers the line item when there is available space to display all of the line item's creatives together on the page. This option is used to create roadblocks and isn't always available, depending on your network settings and the DFP tags your website uses.
- Rotate creatives:
DFP will show a single creative no more than once per page. Therefore, if you want the same creative to appear more than once per page, you must add multiple instances of that creative to a line item.
- Even: Creatives rotate evenly.
- Optimized (default): Creative with the highest CTR will be shown more often.
- Weighted: Creatives rotate at a frequency you specify.
- Sequential: Creatives rotate in the order you specify. You must enter a number between 1 and 80.
- Frequency: Limit the number of times that ads from a line item are served to any individual user. Learn more about frequency caps.
- Day and time: Specify days of the week and times of day when the line item can be delivered. Learn more about dayparting.
- Deliver impressions:
- In the Add targeting section, select the inventory you want to target.
You can target ad units, placements, or both. To find inventory to target, you can either browse through your network's inventory or perform a search.
The ad unit named after your network represents all of the ad units in your network. If you target the line item to this network-level ad unit, the line item will target any ad unit in your network.
Booking a sponsorship line item to a new ad unitWhen you book a sponsorship line item to a new ad unit, you might see a warning that there's not enough available inventory. This happens because there's no sample data for the new ad unit, so the forecasting simulation can't make a projection of available impressions. To remedy this, create a manual forecast adjustment for the ad unit, wait a short time for DFP to process it, and book the sponsorship line item again.
- (Optional) Enter additional targeting criteria to target a specific audience.
- (Optional) For Standard, Sponsorship, and Ad Exchange line items, you can use forecasting to help predict how the line item will perform:
- Standard and Sponsorship line items: Click Check inventory to confirm whether ad impressions are available.
- Ad Exchange line items: In the “Forecasting” section, use the estimated query and revenue numbers to help determine the prospective line item’s effectiveness. You can try to improve the numbers by updating the line item settings and clicking Update forecast.
- Click Save.