You can control smart devices that are compatible with Google Assistant, such as speakers, displays, thermostats, lights, and plugs, with the Google Home app. The setup process to add a device to a home varies by device, so it’s important to follow the correct instructions.
If your device is in the list below, follow the instructions in the linked article:
- Google Nest or Home speakers and displays
- Google Wifi
- Nest Wifi
- Nest Thermostat
- Chromecast Audio
- TV with Chromecast built-in
- Chromecast with Google TV
Nest energy, safety and security devices
You need to set up some devices with the Nest app before you add them to the Home app. For instructions, select your product from the list below:
- Google Nest Protect
- Google Nest Secure Alarm System (including Google Nest Guard, Google Nest Detect and Google Nest Tag)
- Google Nest cameras
- Google Nest Doorbell (wired) and Google Nest Doorbell (battery)
- Nest × Yale Lock
- Google Nest Connect
- Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E
- Google Nest thermostats
- Google Nest Temperature Sensor
Once you’ve set up these devices in the Nest app, they may link automatically in the Home app depending on your settings.
To find out if your devices linked automatically:
- Close both the Nest app and Home app.
- Open the Home app .
- Check if the devices are listed under a room name or under "Local devices."
- If they aren’t listed, follow the instructions to set them up in the Home app.
Note: Nest Protect and Nest Tag only appear in the Nest app.
Seamless Setup devices that work with Assistant
Some devices, such as certain lights and plugs, have been made to work directly with the Google Home app. With Seamless Setup devices, you don't need a bridge, hub or the device maker’s app.
Check your device’s packaging, manual or the manufacturer’s website to know if “Seamless Setup with Google Home app” is listed. If it is, follow the instructions for Seamless Setup.
If your device isn’t covered above, follow the instructions to Connect smart devices in the Google Home app.
Note: To verify if your device works with Google Assistant, search for it on the “Explore all actions” Assistant page.