You can control smart devices that are compatible with Google Assistant, such as speakers, displays, thermostats, sensors, lights, and plugs, with the Google Home app. The setup process to add a device to a home varies by device, so it's important to follow the correct instructions.
If your device is in the list below, follow the instructions in the linked article:
- Google Nest or Home speakers and displays
- Google Wifi
- Nest Wifi
- Nest Thermostat
- Chromecast Audio
- TV with Chromecast built-in
- Chromecast with Google TV
- Google Pixel Tablet
Nest energy, safety and security devices
You need to set up some devices with the Nest app before you can add them to the Home app. For instructions, select your product from the list:
- Google Nest Protect
- Google Nest Secure Alarm System (including Google Nest Guard, Google Nest Detect and Google Nest Tag)
- Google Nest cameras
- Google Nest Doorbell (wired) and Google Nest Doorbell (battery)
- Nest × Yale Lock
- Google Nest Connect
- Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E
- Google Nest thermostats
- Google Nest Temperature Sensor
Once you've set up these devices in the Nest app, they may link automatically in the Home app depending on your settings.
To find out if your devices linked automatically:
- Close both the Nest app and Home app.
- Open the Home app .
- Check if the devices are listed under a room name or under "Local devices."
- If they aren't listed, follow the instructions to set them up in the Home app.
Note: Nest Protect and Nest Tag only appear in the Nest app.
Many third-party devices such as smart lights, appliances, sensors, and more can be set up and controlled with the Google Home app.
- For most devices, follow the steps to connect smart devices in the Google Home app. If you want to check that a device can work, search for it on the "Explore all actions" Assistant page.
- Some devices from select partners offer Seamless setup. Check if "Seamless setup with Google Home app" is on your device's packaging, manual, or website. If so, follow the instructions for Seamless setup.
Note: Some third-party devices will only show their status in the Home app if controls aren't supported. If controls aren't available for your device in the Home app, use the device manufacturer's app for controls.