You can control smart devices that are compatible with the Google Assistant, such as lights, plugs and switches, using the Google Home app. The setup process varies by device, so it’s important to follow the correct instructions.
If your device is in the list below, follow the instructions in the linked article.
- Google speakers and smart displays
- Google Nest Wifi
- Nest Thermostat
- Chromecast audio
- TV with Chromecast built-in
- C by GE smart lights and plugs (includes plugs and Soft White and Tunable White bulbs only. For all other C by GE products, follow the instructions for other devices that work with the Assistant.)
- Philips Hue Bluetooth lights and plugs
- LEDVANCE/Sylvania SMART+ lights
Nest Energy, Safety and Security devices
You need to set up some devices with the Nest app before adding them to the Home app. For instructions, select your product from the list below:
- Google Nest Protect
- Google Nest Secure Alarm System (including Google Nest Guard, Google Nest Detect, Google Nest Tag)
- Google Nest cameras
- Google Nest Hello
- Nest × Yale Lock
- Google Nest Connect
- Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E
- Google Nest thermostats
- Google Nest Temperature Sensor
Once you’ve set up these devices in the Nest app, they may link automatically in the Home app, depending on your settings. To find out if this has happened, close both apps. Open the Home app and check if the devices are listed under a room name or “Local devices.” If they aren’t listed, follow the instructions to set them up in the Home app.
Note: Nest Protect and Nest Tag will only appear in the Nest app.
If your device isn’t listed above, follow the instructions to set up smart devices in the Google Home app.
Note: To verify your device works with the Google Assistant, search for it on the “Explore all actions” Assistant page.