Set up your Chromecast device
The Google Home app will walk you through the steps to set up your Chromecast device. This includes Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra.
If you've already set up your Chromecast on a mobile device, you don't need to set it up again on a different mobile device if all devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
What you need to get started
- A Chromecast device.
- Latest version of the Google Home app .
- Latest version of Google app (Android only. Download it here).
- A Google account.
- A display device with an HDMI input, for example, a high-definition television (HDTV)
- A mobile device or tablet.
- The compatible mobile device or tablet must support a 5GHz connection to set up Chromecast on a 5GHz connection. Note: A WPA2-Enterprise network is not supported.
- Meet the minimum Operating System (OS) requirements to run the Google Home app .
- An internet connection.
- Access to a secure wireless network. Make sure you have the wireless network password handy.
- Availability and performance of certain features, services and applications are device- and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas; subscription(s) may be required, and additional terms, conditions and/or charges may apply.
Set up Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra
The initial steps are for first-time Google Home app users. If you’re already set up a Chromecast device and are setting up another device, you can skip to step 8.
- Plug in Chromecast.
- Install the Google Home app by navigating to g.co/home/setup on your Chromecast-supported Android device.
- Or click to download the Google Home app for Android.
- Make sure to connect your mobile device/tablet to the same Wi-Fi network that you intend to use to set up your Chromecast device.
- Open the Google Home app by tapping the app icon on your Android device.
- On the Google Home app's home screen, tap AddSet up deviceSet up new devices.
- Confirm Google Account: Choose which Google Account you want to link to Chromecast. You can also add a different account if you don’t see the account you want to use listed. Tap Ok.
- Location services - If you don’t have Location services on, tap Go to settings find the Google Home app turn on Location services go back to the Google Home app.
- Location access - Location access is needed to find nearby devices that need setup. Tap OK.
- Scanning for Chromecast devices: The Google Home app scans for nearby devices that are plugged in and ready to set up.
- If you only have one device that needs to be set up, tap Next.
- If the Google Home app finds a list of devices, tap the device you want to set up Next.
- Found devices:
- If one device is found, tap Next.
- If multiple devices are found, choose the device you want to set up Next.
- If you don’t see your device, tap Don’t see your device.
- Connecting to your new device: The app will now connect your phone to your new Chromecast so that you can configure it.
- Making a connection: We’ll display a code on your TV to make sure you’re setting up the right device.
- If you see a code on your TV, tap Yes.
- If you didn't see a code, move closer to the Chromecast device and tap Try again Scan for devices.
- Help improve your device: Automatically share device stats and crash reports with Google to improve everyone’s experience. Tap Yes, I’m in if you would like to help improve your device. Otherwise, tap No Thanks. Here's more about what data is shared when you choose this setting.
- Region selection: You may need to set your region. Tap the region list select your region Continue. If you don’t see this screen, move to step 14.
- Room selection: Choose the room where your device is located. This helps you identify the device when you want to cast to it. Tap Next.
- You can create a custom room by tapping Add custom room type in Room name Next.
- Wi-Fi connection: If you’re connecting via Ethernet, skip to step 16. Choose the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to your device. Tap Next. If you don’t see your Wi-fi network, tap Other Wi-Fi Network...
- To automatically fetch the password for this network on this device, tap Ok. The password will populate in the password field. Note: Android L and above is required to auto fetch the password. The Google Home app will remember this network when you set up more devices. If you don’t want the Google Home app to remember this network, uncheck Use this Wi-Fi network to set up future devices.If you selected a Wi-Fi network from the list, you’ll be prompted to enter your Wi-Fi password. Then tap Connect. The Google Home app will remember this network when you set up more devices. If you don’t want the Google Home app to remember this network, uncheck Use this Wi-Fi network to set up future devices.
- To manually enter the password, tap Enter manually type in password Connect. The Google Home app will remember this network when you set up more devices. If you don’t want the Google Home app to remember this network, uncheck Use this Wi-Fi network to set up future devices.
- If you selected Other Wi-Fi network, you will need to manually enter the Network Name, Password, and select the Security Mode you use with your network.
- Ethernet: Follow the steps to set up using Ethernet.
- Linking your Chromecast: Your Chromecast uses your Google Account to personalize your experience. Tap Continue.
- Email subscription: Discover tips and new features with email updates for your device and the Google Assistant. Tap Subscribe.
- Summary screen: Here’s a review of what you set up. You can choose to set up other functionality. Tap Continue Continue.
- Learn how to cast: Choose a sample clip to learn how to cast or tap Skip tutorial.
- Set up is successful. You're all done!