This article only applies to the Nest Thermostat.
Note: If your thermostat is not listed above, go to our How to install your Nest thermostat article for the Nest Thermostat E or Nest Learning Thermostat.
The Google Nest Thermostat is set up in the Home app. The app will guide you all the way through checking compatibility, installation, and set up. It will help you select all the right options for you and your home. Below are all the steps along with helpful troubleshooting tips.
1. Get your tools ready
- Phillips screwdriver Head #1 (3 mm)
- Flathead screwdriver
- Power drill (optional)
- Pliers and wire strippers (optional)
- Flashlight (optional)
- Nest Thermostat Trim Kit (optional)
2. Download the Home app
3. Scan the QR code
Note: You’ll need to be able to touch your thermostat to add it to your account in the Home app. This means that you won’t be able to add it remotely. After you’ve added your thermostat to the app, you can control it remotely when you’re away from home.
Scan the QR code on the back of the display or manually enter the code.
- Open the Home app .
- In the upper left corner, tap Add Set up device New device Choose a home.
- The app will search for devices that you can add. If it doesn't find your thermostat, select it from the list.
- To continue with a QR code: Scan the QR code on the back of your Nest Thermostat display.
Tip: If the scan is unsuccessful, you can tap Continue without scanning. Select the thermostat you are setting up and enter the code on the back of the thermostat display.
- The Home app will walk you through installation.
4. Install your thermostat
- Make sure your current system is working properly before installing your new thermostat.
- Turn off power at the circuit breaker.
- Remove the cover from your existing thermostat and take a photo of the wiring for later reference.
- Note: If your existing thermostat is labeled 120V or 240V, has stranded wires, or has thick wires with wire nuts, your system is high voltage and not compatible.
- Remove jumper wires. If your wire connectors have two sets of labels, the app will ask you some questions to help you identify which label you will use.
- Check off which wires you have and label each one with the stickers provided from the box.
- Disconnect the old thermostat.
- If you are using the Nest Thermostat Trim Kit, attach it to the wall now. Otherwise, you can connect the base plate directly to the wall.
- Press the buttons and insert each wire into its corresponding slot. The buttons will remain pressed.
- Note: If you have a wire in the *OB slot (could be used as W2, Y2, O, B etc), when setting up Nest Thermostat, you must declare that wire according to its function (example: W2).
- On the back of the thermostat display, pull out the clear battery tab. The display may turn on.
- Attach the thermostat display onto the base until it clicks into place. Now you can turn the power back on at the circuit breaker and connect your thermostat to your Home app.
5. Set up your thermostat
After your Nest Thermostat has been detected by your Home app, you can select a language and perform a quick system power test.
Your Home app will now ask some questions about your heating or cooling system and the thermostat will calibrate its temperature sensor for your home.
6. Configure your thermostat
Your Home app will look for Wi-Fi networks for you to choose from. Pick one to connect to and continue customizing your thermostat.
- Add a home address for the Home app to use to know if you are home or away.
- Tell the Home app where in the home the thermostat is located. This will be used for device organization and voice commands.
- You can create some settings to save energy by scheduling temperatures for each part of your day.
- Set your temperature presets that you can use anytime.
- Create a schedule for these presets to activate in your home.
- Home/Away Assist could be turned on to use Eco temperatures when the Away routine starts and return to your scheduled temperatures when the Home routine starts.
You will get heating and cooling system alerts if there are system issues and receive seasonal reminders for checkups.
Swipe up and down on the right side to change the temperature.
- Tap the touchbar on the right side to open the menu.
- Swipe to change what’s selected.
- Tap to confirm your selection.
To learn more, check out these videos: