Overview of Demographics & Interests reports
Analytics now includes data on your users' demographics (age, gender) and interests (affinity categories, other categories). You can analyze those data with two new categories of reports in the Audience section:
- Overview (overview of traffic by age and gender)
- Age (traffic by age ranges)
- Gender (traffic by gender)
- Overview (overview of traffic by affinity and other categories)
- Affinity Categories (behavior by affinity categories)
- In-Market Categories (behavior by in-market categories)
- Other Categories (behavior by other interest categories)
These reports let you see not only how many of your users engage over a date range, but also who those users are, and how their behavior varies by attribute (e.g., male vs. female).
This data is also available in custom reports, and you can use it as the basis for segmentation, which lets you evaluate how your users' behavior varies by demographics and interests; for example, do males interested in automobiles convert more frequently or read specific types of content more than females who are interested in athletic apparel.
Since these are the same demographics and interest categories that you use to target ads on the Google Display Network, you can build segments using these attributes, apply them to any of your Analytics reports, and use that analysis to refine your campaign strategies.
Information for these new reports is derived from the DoubleClick third-party cookie. When that cookie is not associated with a user, Analytics cannot conclude demographics and interest categories, and so these reports may represent only a subset of your users and not the overall composition of your site traffic. In addition, some data in reports may be removed when thresholds are applied to prevent inferring the identity of an individual user (Learn more).
To make data available in these reports, you need to:
- Make a simple, one-line change to your tracking code
- Set the enabling options in Analytics
Learn more about: