This policy applies to advertisers using Customer Match for campaigns on Search, YouTube, or Gmail.
Collecting customer data
When using Customer Match, you may only upload customer information that you collected in the first-party context—i.e., information you collected from your websites, apps, physical stores, or other situations where customers shared their information directly with you.
- You collected information from a customer who had purchased an item from your website.
- You collected information from a customer who registered to receive marketing messages through your apps.
- You collected information from a customer who signed up for your loyalty program in your physical store.
You must also:
- Only use Google’s approved API or interface to upload customer data; and
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including any self-regulatory or industry codes that may apply.
You are prohibited from:
- Running ads that collect personally identifiable information, except for Gmail ads with HTML forms that comply with the Gmail ads policy;
- Uploading information for any customer who is under the age of 13 or that was collected from any site or app directed to children under the age of 13;
- Creating ad content which implies knowledge of personally identifiable information or sensitive information about your customers (see below for more information);
- Using a customer list that targets an overly narrow or specific audience. For example, you can’t combine a customer list with other targeting criteria (such as geographic limitations) if it results in an ad targeted to a relatively small number of users;
- Advertising for products related to sensitive information, such as pharmaceutical products, in a Customer Match campaign (see below for more information); or
- Running any ads that are prohibited by our AdWords policies.
Restrictions on sensitive information
Sensitive information about your customers can’t be used in Customer Match campaigns or ads. Additionally, you can't use data from your Customer Match campaigns to identify sensitive information about your customers.
Sensitive information includes:
- Interest or participation in adult activities (including alcohol, gambling, adult dating, pornography, etc.)
- Sexual behavior or orientation, such as sexual orientation inferred from a user's visit to a particular website
- Racial or ethnic information, such as from sites or apps that collect affirmative racial or ethnic identification from visitors
- Political affiliation (to the extent permitted by applicable law, political affiliation may be used to target ads to users or to promote advertisers’ products or services in the United States)
- Trade union membership or affiliation, such as a user's visit to a trade union's site or app
- Religion or religious belief, such as from sites or apps that collect people's affirmative information on religion or religious beliefs
- Negative financial status or situation, such as information indicating that a user has a low credit rating or high debt load
- Health or medical information, such as from sites or apps that market to a specific health-related group
- Status as a child under 13
- The commission or alleged commission of any crime, such as information indicating that a user has a criminal record
- Divorce or marital separation, such as from sites or apps for divorce lawyers or divorce counseling
What happens if you violate our policies
- Compliance review: We may review your business for compliance with the Customer Match policy at any time. If we contact you to request information related to compliance, you're required to respond in a timely manner and swiftly take any corrective action needed to comply with our policies. If you’re a manager account, we may also contact your managed accounts to verify compliance.
- Notification of non-compliance: If we believe that you're violating Customer Match policy, we'll contact you to request corrective action. If you fail to make the requested corrections within the time period given, you may be denied the ability to use Customer Match, or your access to your Google AdWords accounts may be suspended. In cases of serious or repeated violations, your account may be suspended immediately and without notification. Learn more about suspended accounts.
Need help?If you have questions about this policy, let us know:
Contact AdWords Support