Using remarketing to reach people who visited your site or app
Remarketing is a feature that lets you reach people who have previously visited your site, and show them relevant ads across the web or when they search on Google. When people leave your site without buying anything, for example, remarketing helps you connect with these potential customers again. You can even show them a tailored message or offer that will encourage them to return to your site and complete a purchase.
Use remarketing to match the right message to the right people at the right time. Here's how: You add a piece of code (remarketing tag) to all of the pages of your site. Then, when shoppers come to your site, they'll be added to your remarketing lists. You can later reach out to these potential buyers while they search on Google or browse other websites.
You can use remarketing in multiple ways, depending on the type of site you have, your business goals, and your campaign type:
- Remarketing for the Display Network: Show ads to your site visitors while they browse the web.
- Remarketing lists for search ads: Show ads to your site visitors when they search for what they need on Google. Expand your reach with additional keywords, set bid adjustments for people who have visited your site, and tailor your ads to them.
- Dynamic remarketing (only for advertisers with a Google Merchant Center account): Show dynamically created ads to your site visitors, powered by your Google Merchant Center account. These ads are created based on the pages your customers visited or how they interacted with your site, and are shown to your site visitors while they view other sites on the web. Dynamic ads include relevant details such as product image, title, and price.
- Remarketing for mobile apps: Reach customers who have previously visited specific sections of your mobile app, and show ads to them when they use other apps.
Let's say you sell dress shoes. Using remarketing, you can show ads about men's dress shoes on Display Network websites to those people who visited the men's shoes section of your site. You could also show ads about men's dress shoes to those visitors when they search for men's dress shoes on Google.
Using dynamic remarketing, you could show dynamically created ads that display relevant products to people who visited the men's shoes section of your site while they visit other sites on the web. To use any of these remarketing options, you'd place a tag across your entire site and then create a remarketing list in AdWords for the "men's shoes" pages of your site.
Who should use remarketing
Whether you're looking to drive sales activity on your site, increase registrations, or promote awareness of your brand, remarketing can be a strategic component of every campaign. It can drive return on investment (ROI) for all types of advertisers.
- To use remarketing on the Display Network, you may want to choose "Display Network only - Remarketing" as your campaign type when you create your campaign. The default settings in this campaign type can help you achieve better performance by keeping your targeting broad enough but focused on the right audience.
- To use remarketing lists for search ads, you may want to select "Search Network only - All features" as your campaign type.
- To use remarketing in apps, select "Display Network only - Mobile Apps" as your campaign type when you create your campaign. This will help your ads show in mobile apps.
If you have a "Search Network only - Standard," "Search Network with Display Select," or "Search & Display Networks - Standard" campaign, you won't be able to add remarketing lists to your campaign.
If you're a search advertiser, you can use remarketing to create an integrated campaign strategy. After driving traffic to your site with search ads, you can then use remarketing to reach those customers who visited your site by showing them ads and special offers on sites throughout the Google Display Network. Conversely, remarketing ads on the Google Display Network can drive more searches for your brand and products, increasing the amount of traffic you can get from searches on Google.
You can use remarketing to improve the ROI of existing campaigns. For example, if a campaign has keywords that bring traffic to your site, you can use remarketing to drive conversions. You can even experiment with keywords that didn't result in conversions in the past, but combined with remarketing, might increase your ROI.
Remarketing lists can also be used to adjust bids for search and to tailor ads for people in your lists. People who have already been to your website might tend to purchase at a higher rate; you can set bid adjustments for such customers to gain better position and more clicks and conversions. If you've created remarketing lists based on the section of your site that people visited, you can highlight products, services, or deals related to that section with tailored search ads.
Why remarket with Google
AdWords remarketing offers customization and flexibility that can help you deliver your campaigns effectively. Here are some of the benefits:
- Reach your customers when they're most likely to buy: You have the option to reach them after they've visited your site, when they're searching for your product, on while they visit other websites, or both. AdWords remarketing provides the most comprehensive and timely touch points to drive your customers to your site when they're most engaged.
- Customized audiences: Customize your remarketing lists in creative ways. For example, you can find "abandoned shopping cart users" by reaching all the people who created a shopping cart but didn't complete a transaction. Learn more about remarketing campaign strategies.
- Reach and depth: You can reach a large number of users multiple times a day, week, or month. Because of the large number of websites that join the Google Display Network, you can connect with many users on your lists as they browse these sites.
- Efficient pricing: With the Google auction, you can achieve efficient pricing that can drive the right ROI for you. Use our Conversion Optimizer and allow us to automate your bids to achieve your target CPA. With CPM and CPC bidding, you have the flexibility to adjust the bid higher or lower to reach your campaign goals.
- Easy ad creation: Produce multiple creative messages through text ads, or use the Ad gallery to make image or video ads for free.
- Visibility into where your ads appear: You have visibility into which sites your ads appear on. You can raise or lower bids based on site performance, or limit your ads to the sites where they best perform.