Cancelling your AdWords account
You can cancel your AdWords account at any time. This will automatically stop all your ads within 24 hours.
This article shows you how to cancel your account, and what you should know before you cancel your account.
Cancelling your AdWords account is different from deleting your Google Account. When you cancel your AdWords account, your ads stop showing, but you’re still able to access the account. When you delete your Google Account, all Google product accounts associated with that account will be cancelled, and you'll be unable to access the accounts in the future. Your Gmail username will also be deleted and can't be used again in the future. Find out more about deleting your Google Account.
Before you cancel
Note that cancelling your AdWords account has the same effect as pausing your campaigns, with these exceptions:
- When you cancel your account, you can receive a refund for any unused account balance, excluding amounts from promotional offers.
- If you cancel your account, you'll need to reactivate your account first if you want to use it again in the future.
If you don't have unused funds in your account, you may want to pause your campaigns instead of cancelling your account.
If you’re cancelling your account because you’re not happy with how your campaigns are performing, you may want to check out optimisation tips that could help. You can also contact us for further assistance or leave feedback about your AdWords experience.
How cancellation works
If you decide to cancel your account, keep in mind that you'll still need to pay for any accrued costs in your account. If you have money left in your account, we'll refund it to your payment method within 4 weeks. To learn more, read Managing billing after cancelling your AdWords account.
After you cancel, you’ll still be able to access the data in your AdWords account by logging in to AdWords. If you want to use AdWords again in the future, you can reactivate your account at any time.
Requirements for cancellation
To cancel your account, you'll need:
- Administrative access to your account
- Billing set-up for your account
If you have a manager account and want to cancel one of your managed accounts, keep in mind the following requirements:
- You’ll need administrative access to your manager account
- Your manager account needs to have created the managed account that you’d like to cancel
- That managed account can have no other users with administrative access
Read About cancelling managed accounts to learn more.
How to cancel your account
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the gear icon and choose Account settings.
- In the "Account cancellation" section at the bottom of the page, click on Cancel this account. This option won't appear if your AdWords account has already been cancelled or if your user account doesn't have administrative access.
- In the pop-up box that appears, you can follow links to troubleshoot common issues, leave us feedback about why you're cancelling your account, and confirm that you want to cancel your account by clicking on Cancel my account at the bottom.
Problems cancelling your account
- If you can't see the option to cancel your account, then you may not be eligible to cancel it. Review 'Requirements for cancellation' above.
- If your administrative access user left the company, and you want to cancel your account, collect your Customer ID, sign-in email address, account billing information and contact AdWords support.