Non-personalised ads are ads that aren't based on a user’s past behaviour. They are targeted using contextual information, including coarse geo-targeting based on current location and content on the current site or app. Google disallows all interest-based audience targeting, including demographic targeting.
AdMob provides tools to help you respect user preferences and assist you with your compliance with local regulation:
- IAB TCF v2.0: The TC string contains information about the ad partners to which a user has granted consent. Learn more about TCF v2.0 and non-personalised ads
- GDPR: You can select non-personalised ads on the ad requests originating in the EEA, the UK and Switzerland by tagging the ad request as non-personalised or by setting your account to non-personalised ads in the GDPR settings in Privacy & messaging. Click Privacy & messaging GDPR Settings to access the settings. When a valid TC string is detected, Google will handle the ad request as described in Publisher integration with the IAB TCF v2.0.
- CCPA: You can restrict data processing on the ad request by tagging the ad request as restricted data processing, or by setting your account to restrict data processing in the CCPA settings in Privacy & messaging. Click Privacy & messaging CCPA Settings to access the settings.
When a valid TC string isn’t detected, non-personalised ad requests originating from different regions may be treated differently:
- EEA, the UK, Switzerland and California: You can use the GDPR and CCPA settings in Privacy & messaging to select the partners that will receive these non-personalised and restricted data processing ad requests in these regions. These settings will apply for both non-personalised and personalised ad requests, if you've allowed personalised ads.
- Brazil: For ad requests originating from Brazil, all bid requests will be sent to bidders that are part of the Ad Technology Providers for the LGPD list.
- Other regions: Non-personalised ad requests outside of the previously noted regions will be sent to all bidders, subject to other protections.
Non-personalised bid requests sent to third-party RTB bidders will be labelled with appropriate privacy signals, and user identifiers (such as
hosted_match_data, any device advertising IDs and
session_id) will be removed from bid requests for non-personalised ads. Other signals that are used for targeting or invalid traffic detection (such as
user_agent or truncated IP address) will continue to be sent. Learn more about non-personalised bid requests
- Ads for which child-directed treatment applies aren't eligible to be sent to third-party RTB bidders. Example: Ad requests tagged with
- Third-party SDK collected signals won't be sent to RTB bidders on non-personalised ad requests.