You can traffic full-page web ads that appear between page views. Web interstitials serve as an additional inventory and revenue source. Publishers can monetize web pages with impactful ads while respecting Better Ads Standards.
To respect the user experience, web interstitials:
- Automatically pre-load and render before navigating away from the page without delay when the user clicks a link in the page.
- Have a clear exit option.
- Have a fixed frequency cap—a given publisher can show an ad to a user only once per hour per sub-domain.
- Match Google Search standards for avoiding intrusiveness.
See the available features for Programmatic Direct.
- Add the
INTERSTITIALGPT slot type to the
<head>element of the web page.
- Display the ad slot as you would any other ad slot.
- Add the
- Create ad units (or use existing ones) for interstitial slots. To streamline trafficking, include the sizes 320x480, 300x250, and 336x280.
- Create line items:
- For reserved inventory: Target inventory as normal. Creatives must have the size 320x480, 300x250, or 336x280.
- For non-reserved inventory: Include the relevant ad unit in the Ad Exchange line item. Include the sizes 320x480, 300x250, or 336x280 in the associated placeholder creative. These fixed sizes are only needed for trafficking purposes on Ad Exchange line items. Ads served programmatically can be a range of sizes depending on the size of the viewport.
Use the “Inventory format” dimension to see how interstitials are performing compared to other formats.
To demo the interstitial format, append
#gamInterstitialDemo to a website page that already has some GPT tags. Clicking a link on the page that causes a navigation should trigger the format.
To ensure that users see a maximum of one ad per hour per subdomain, Ad Manager will use local storage to verify that a user has not seen a web interstitial in the past hour. Please note that use of this format is subject to the EU user consent policy and that where that policy applies, you must not send a request without obtaining the end users’ legally valid consent and providing the end users with transparency information.
Some links on a page may be considered ineligible to show interstitial ads. Interstitial ads won’t be shown when a user clicks an ineligible link. Examples of ineligible links include links to URLs without HTTP/HTTPS and links that open a new window.