An AdSense or Ad Exchange property code is required to create an AdSense or Ad Exchange line item.
Step 1: Enter the property code in Ad Manager
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Admin Global settings.
- Click either Link an AdSense account or Link an Ad Exchange account depending on the property code.
The email address for the account must have API access. This email address might be different from the billing email. You can find the correct email address in your AdSense or Ad Exchange account under Account settings Access and authorization Users with sign-in access.
- Enter the required information, then click Save.
An email is sent requesting confirmation that you want to link accounts. Once you verify, changes are reflected immediately. If changes are not reflected, sign out of Ad Manager and sign in again after 15-20 minutes.
- On the Delivery tab, choose between the following:
- Create a new order.
- Select an existing order in the table, then click New line item.
- Select Video.
- Name the line item and select AdSense or Ad Exchange as the type, depending on which property code you're utilizing for this line item (requires the use of the IMA SDK). Select Price priority if you want AdSense or Ad Exchange to compete with other video ad providers on price.
Enter the creative size and optional companion sizes.
For Ad Exchange line items, if the VAST response will be rendered via the IMA SDK, you can display vertical video by setting the height (or first) value as the larger dimension in the video size. A 4:5 video creative ratio is recommended for vertical video.
- Enter your remaining line item settings, then click Save.
Step 3: Add creatives
- In the line item, click Creatives Add creative.
- Name the creative.
- Select the creative format(s) that are eligible to serve to this line item:
In-stream: Ads that appear before, during, or after video content.Line items do not serve to requests specifying a max duration if one is not set.
Also, if you are specifying a maximum duration for each ad (for example, using standard pods), the maximum of either the skippable max duration or the standard max duration needs to be smaller than the max duration of each ad in the pod for backfill to be triggered.
This ensures that the maximum pod duration is not exceeded by a skippable or a standard ad that might be returned.
Learn how to control video ad eligibility based on duration.
- Overlay: Overlay ads cover part of the video content as it plays.
If video ad rules are enabled for your Ad Manager network, or for an individual ad tag, non-linear ad types (overlay ads) are not eligible to serve. Video ad rules are only effective for in-stream ad inventory.
The description URL
For Ad Exchange line items, append the
description_url parameter to Ad Manager tags. This is mandatory for publishers using Scaled Partner Management. The description URL is compared to an NPM publisher's list of classified domains to see if ads are eligible to serve. If the description URL doesn't match a classified domain, no ads serve.
The description URL is used to categorize and rate the content on the page. It should be a video-specific URL (not the domain for all ad requests). Advertisers can see the content's category (vertical) and rating (G, Teen, Mature, and Not Rated).