With G Suite Sync for Microsoft® Outlook® (GSSMO), you can import your Outlook data to your Google Account from the following source environments:
- an existing Outlook profile
- a Microsoft Exchange profile (if you're using Exchange)
- a PST file containing data exported from Outlook
Option 1: I'm ready to import data now
- Switch to GSSMO by clicking the GSSMO icon in your Windows® taskbar.
- In the Set Up G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook box, check the Import data from an existing profile box. Then, select an option:
- An existing Outlook profile (default).
- If your Exchange profile is listed, select the profile name to import directly from Exchange.
- If you've exported your data from Outlook to a PST file, select From a PST file. Browse to the file on your computer.
Note: If the options are grayed out, you need to install a separate tool to import data. For details, see Enable import options.
- Check the boxes to specify what type of data to import. For details, see What's synchronized between Outlook and G Suite.
- (Optional) Check the Send crash reports and usage statistics to Google box. For details about what information is sent, see Send usage and crash reports.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Check the Turn AutoArchive off box to keep a copy of all your archived messages.
Now, your archived messages will go to a new Archived folder that is synced with your Google Account.
- Click Create profile.
Option 2: I'm not ready to import data now
Option 3: I have already imported data
If you've already imported data into your Google Account, do not re-import the same data. You might end up with duplicate calendar events, contacts, or notes. Go to Start using Outlook.How does the import process work?
Contacts are imported first, followed by calendar data, and then email. Contacts and calendar events are imported directly into Outlook and synchronize with your Google Account on the web when you start Outlook. Your email imports directly to Gmail and is immediately available on the web, even before you start Outlook.
Depending on how much mail and other data you have, it might take several hours to complete the import process. You can start Outlook and work in your Google Account (G Suite profile) before the import process is finished if you want.
To temporarily pause an import, click Pause migration. Click Resume migration to continue importing from where you left off.
If your import is deliberately interrupted (if you click Cancel or you shut down your computer, for example) you can simply rerun the import process. To avoid importing duplicate data, select Import only data that has not been imported previously. For details, see Import your Outlook data later.
If the import is accidentally interrupted by a lost Internet connection, the import will resume when the connection is restored. If not, you should start a new import. To avoid importing duplicate data, select Import only data that has not been imported previously. For details, see Import your Outlook data later.
To see the status of the import process, such as any errors that might have occurred, click Migration log file. This opens a log file for the current process.
You can find log files for all your imports here:
- Windows 7 and up—C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Local\Google\Google Apps Migration\Tracing\.
- Earlier versions of Windows—C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-name\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Apps Migration\Tracing\.
Next, you can Start using Outlook.