Edit group access settings
As a G Suite Groups administrator, you can edit group access settings in the Admin console. Access settings control what group members can do in a group, based on their role and your organization's sharing options.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Groups.
To see Groups, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Click the name of a group.
- In the Settings section, click Access settings.
- In the Access type section, click the table cells to change access settings. If the settings have been customized, click Custom at the top of the page to see preconfigured settings, such as Public and Restricted.
Select a preconfigured access type or choose settings manually:
- Public—Open to anyone in your organization. Depending on your settings, it can also be open to people outside your organization. Groups with the Public setting might get more spam messages. Malicious senders often send spam to email addresses they find on public websites.
- Team—Open to a specific team in your organization. Select this setting to create a group for a specific internal department or team.
- Announcement only—Used to broadcast information to a group. For example, use this setting for a group that receives company news.
- Restricted—A private group setting for employees who share private or sensitive information.
- Custom—Shows that settings have been manually configured.
Choose settings for each group of users:
- Contact owners—Who is allowed to email group owners directly.
- View members—Who is allowed to view group members.
- View topics—Who is allowed to view topics posted in the group. External members can only view topics if Groups for Business sharing options are set to Public on the Internet.
- Publish posts—Who is allowed to publish messages to the group. To allow people outside your organization to post messages to the group, check the External box.
Choose whether group members who have the owner, manager, or member role can add people to the group directly, invite people to join the group, and approve requests to join the group.
Who can join the group
Choose how to add people to the group:
- Anyone in the organization can ask—People in the organization must ask and then be approved before they can join the group
- Anyone in the organization can join—People in the organization can add themselves to the group directly
- Only invited users—People can join the group only if they’re invited
Allow members outside your organization
Turn this setting off to prevent external people from being added to the group. Or turn the setting on to allow external people in the group.
Note: G Suite Groups administrators can always add external people to groups from the Admin console regardless of this setting.
- To remove access, click cells that have check marks.
- To add access, click cells that are empty.
- Light-shaded cells can't be changed.
- Dark-shaded cells can be changed.
- Click Save.